What breed are these chickens (mostly roosters)?

Olivia or Oliver

Chirping
May 19, 2021
IMG_9623.jpeg

IMG_9620.jpeg

IMG_9637.jpeg

IMG_9622.jpeg

That makes a lot of sense since most chickens in the picture are rescues from fighting. Are there other breeds of roosters that are not gamefowl that have brilliant color patterns like these ones? Just curious
They are definitely game mixes. Not great looking ones.

Who said they were rescues from fighting and where did the pics come from? Usually birds seized from fighting rings are quickly put down.

That makes a lot of sense since most chickens in the picture are rescues from fighting. Are there other breeds of roosters that are not gamefowl that have brilliant color patterns like these ones? Just curious
Many roosters come in those colors. Brown leghorns, welsummers, and black breasted red old English game bantams are just a few I can think of.

They are definitely game mixes. Not great looking ones.

Who said they were rescues from fighting and where did the pics come from? Usually birds seized from fighting rings are quickly put down.
Most are old. The first one I think is 13 years old maybe that is why. That was what the rescue told us. Some were passed off to them by the PD.

Most are old. The first one I think is 13 years old maybe that is why. That was what the rescue told us. Some were passed off to them by the PD.

The reason I ask is sometimes groups through around the term “rescue” loosely and will make presumptions that birds are used for fighting simply because they’re gamefowl. Or otherwise label chickens as “rescue” just because they can. I once saw a Youtuber talk about their pure bred “rescue” Liege fighters. If you know anything about the Liege breed, they’re probably not being used as fighters in the US and they’re so rare and expensive that they weren’t likely being kept in poor conditions. It was just trendy sounding to call them “rescues.”

Gamefowl also have the tendency to go feral. Where its not as well known these days that chickens can and will actually live feral, feral gamefowl are often labeled “dumped” chickens in need of rescuing, when in reality they’re just living life fine without human care on the edges of human civilization.

So what I’m wondering is whether the rescue you got them from is correct or if they’re just making presumptions.

As it is, a couple of them are young. One of them might make you a good free range rooster if you’re so inclined to free range.

The reason I ask is sometimes groups through around the term “rescue” loosely and will make presumptions that birds are used for fighting simply because they’re gamefowl. Or otherwise label chickens as “rescue” just because they can. I once saw a Youtuber talk about their pure bred “rescue” Liege fighters. If you know anything about the Liege breed, they’re probably not being used as fighters in the US and they’re so rare and expensive that they weren’t likely being kept in poor conditions. It was just trendy sounding to call them “rescues.”
Sure I totally understand. I don't really doubt any of what you said. I'm simply reiterating what I was told. I think as you've said these chickens may not be purebred or in top condition for fighting but apparently cockfighting is prevalent where I am and roosters get stolen all the time for laymen's fighting (they had to add locks to rooster cages, and were also approached by people asking if they can take the roos). I was just visiting and saw how pretty they were and got curious that is all :) I only took a few pictures but most in the cages were actually handicapped hence the rescues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom