What Breed are These, Please?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lady Badlands, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Lady Badlands

Lady Badlands Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Bought a property and the previous tenants abandoned these chickens--one rooster and two hens. They are really beautiful. I found a bunch of brown eggs the hens laid in the nesting boxes in the coop they were left in. Any identification of these cuties would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Golden Comets.

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Or other red sexlink variety.

4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    They left them? how awful! at least they have you now!

5. Lady Badlands

Lady Badlands Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    They also abandoned a couple of tiny kittens. I don't understand these folks. They just moved down the road about a mile. If I hadn't been going over there ever other day to feed the critters, I'd hate to think of what would have happened to them. Now I have to figure out how to incorporate the three of them into my brood of 23 hens and 1 male guinea. If I leave them at this property all winter and we get snowed in, they'll starve. My hens and one male guinea are almost 5 months old and have been raised together since they were born. Don't have a clue as to the age of this Roo and his hens.

Any suggestions anyone? Thanks!

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Those are beautiful Golden Comets, aka Gold Sexlinks, Red Sexlinks, ect... They should be excellent layers.

7. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Red Sexlinks - also known as comets. They are a mixed breed that can be sexed at hatch. They are also some of the BEST layers you will ever get. From the looks they are around 9 months old. That is assuming that the girls are the same age as the rooster. They do look nice and young too.

You can look forward to several years of LOTS of brown eggs.

Matt

8. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Oh,

The one in the back of the picture with the rooster is one of those forlegged, furry, non-layers. [​IMG]

Matt

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:They don't look too old, I'd say 6 - 9 mos maybe?

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I would have to say they aren't much over a year old. The rooster's spurs don't look that long? Or am I looking at the pic wrong. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by