What breed are these?

The red/white ones look like red sex links to me - these would be a mix of two common breeds, one that is red and one that is silver (white), such as a Rhode Island Red and a white Plymouth Rock. They should be good layers. These are examples of 'heavy' or 'large fowl' birds.

I can't guess the breed of the other one, but it does look like a bantam to me - in your pic showing all of them together the black/gold one is much smaller than the other girls. Old English Game is as good a guess as any from my perspective!

The red/white ones look like red sex links to me - these would be a mix of two common breeds, one that is red and one that is silver (white), such as a Rhode Island Red and a white Plymouth Rock. They should be good layers.  These are examples of 'heavy' or 'large fowl' birds.

I can't guess the breed of the other one, but it does look like a bantam to me - in your pic showing all of them together the black/gold one is much smaller than the other girls.  Old English Game is as good a guess as any from my perspective!

Thanks monica! Yes the black one is very small and shes a good flier. After lookingat the link of breeds i was thinking maybe they could be Catalanas as we are in Spain. They look like the sex links too but i dont know if they would have Rhode islands this far away. They are the same type i always see here for sale but when i ask what they are he just says "es un gallina"
1f602.png
"it's a hen"
It doesn't matter to us the breed they are good layers and lovely girls I'm just curious
1f603.png

Dee, red sex links can be made with any red breed of chicken, the RIR is just a very common one, at least in the US! I don't know all the color genetics of the various breeds, but in theory they could even be made using Catalanas as the red hen. They can be made from a variety of breeds as long as they have the same color genes. I've only seen that combo of red front/whtitsh toward the tail on sex links, but then again in Spain, who knows? Sex links are a good way to ensure that you get a hen, LOL! Roosters of the same type breeding will be mostly white with a bit of red on them, which is why you can tell them apart. :)

I'm new to this game also and find all of this rather fascinating.

Dee, red sex links can be made with any red breed of chicken, the RIR is just a very common one, at least in the US!  I don't know all the color genetics of the various breeds, but in theory they could even be made using Catalanas as the red hen.  They can be made from a variety of breeds as long as they have the same color genes.  I've only seen that combo of red front/whtitsh toward the tail on sex links, but then again in Spain, who knows?  Sex links are a good way to ensure that you get a hen, LOL!  Roosters of the same type breeding will be mostly white with a bit of red on them, which is why you can tell them apart. :)

I'm new to this game also and find all of this rather fascinating.

Ah okay i see that would make sense. We only bought them yesterday, we just had 2 before,and the little black one seemed a bit lonely so my mum went today to buy another one the same and it looks a bit different mum is wondering if it could be male it has a much longer tail and the red bits on its head are a bit longer. We are going to have to put a net or extend the roof on their pen cause the little black one was perched on the top of the 2.5 meter high fence today! Can't believe they can fly so high
1f623.png
attatched is the photo of the new little black and yellow one any ideas of its gender? Thanks everyone
1f603.png

Another pic of the little one I'm unsure of gender and breed. Gender is more important though it's supposed to be female

Any idea how old it is? I'm afraid it might be a boy.

Oh no
1f623.png
how can i tell for sure? Its young but not sure how young. Here is a pic of the two black ones together do you think they are both boys or just the one with the long tail?

Back
Top Bottom