What Breed are they??

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Bleenie, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I bought these guys as Brown Chinese Goslings. I originally had 3 but rehomed one because of a severe leg problem it developed. (really great home that wanted a house goose and was able & willing to do the therapy to fix her!)

Well now I have these 2 left, I am pretty sure it's a Goose & a Gander.... Moose & Gabby. Well now that they're older I am seeing some changes in them.... their bills have been getting more orange and their bodies seem to be staying quite short, same with their necks... I am just really wondering about these two now!!

Brown Chinese or not?

[​IMG][​IMG]

Baby Pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  2. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    I'll bet you ARE wondering [​IMG] They look like a Toulouse mix. The smooth neck feathers say "chinese" but the necks are too stocky and those orange bills . . . they should have medium knobs by now too, I'd think. I'm learning along with you and just shoot my mouth off because I'm so fascinated with geese :blush: .

They sure are gorgeous geese, though, but I'm not seeing all that much Chinese . . .

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

They're only about 3 months old so i didn't expect to see any knobs yet, my older boy, Owen's, is still kinda small. they're just kinda stocky and the orange bills!! i dunno!

4. smileysal

smileysal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    This is our Chinese, Jack at about 3 months, so I'm thinking yours probably aren't?! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Thank you so much smileysal, that picture was really helpful. Does anyone know of other breeds with this coloring, with the white band across the lower breast?

I wanted to cut back on geese but havent been able to decide... i guess i just found the ones to go [​IMG]

6. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

Toulouse

7. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

ARGH.... those are one of the breeds i didn't want, but at least they're not embden i guess!

Maybe I will get lucky and they'll be Giant Dewlap Toulouse? [​IMG] but luck has obviously not been on my side [​IMG]

8. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I am guessing half chinese half toulouse. Notice the dark grey down the back of the head and neck? Notice also the beak looks somewhere between chinese and greyleg type. They look like my half embden half chinese. With my cross the grey are geese and the ganders would be white with grey feathers around the wings and tail. do a search for chinese crosses there are several nice pics.

9. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

If your not interested I wouldnt mine getting them [​IMG]

10. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:What is wrong with Embden geese? I would love to get so many more but I started with Embden and they are the sweetest bird and still follow me around like a puppy does? Have you had a bad experience with Embden?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by