What breed are this ladies? (pics)

djswett

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Bend, OR.
Hello BYCers:
Last week we had something awful happen. After succesfully raising three lovely chickens, we forgot to lock the coop ONE night, and some racoons got their way with our two Javas. It broke many hearts in this household. Only our little Sicilian buttercup survived, probably because she's pretty much a wild bird who flies like an eagle, and sprints like a road runner.
So as we gathered the feathers and buried the remains of our two hens, we sat there looking at the lonely and distessed survivor wondering what to do next...
The next day, a good friend of ours that was raising three chickens called us to see if we wanted his flock because he is moving, so we said yes.
Well, the new girls are here and they are awesome. They have already given us some eggs and seem to be enjoying their new (and much nicer) backyard, and our wild survivor seems much happier with her new friends.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what breeds this girls are so I'm posting some pics below. So far they've given us some large light brown eggs, and some light blue/green smaller eggs, but I'm not sure who layed what...

Here's the pics:

31785_p1070383.jpg

The white one. She seems to be the brains of the flock.

31785_p1070381.jpg

The speckled one is the wilder one of the new girls. She's got feathery cheeks.

31785_p1070392.jpg

31785_p1070391.jpg

The black one acts like the boss but not the smartest. Lovely brown speckles on her chest, and beautiful dark black/green feathers

31785_p1070386.jpg

Thanks for any help!
Bryan.

Congratulations on your new hens!
yippiechickie.gif

The one with "feathered" cheeks is an Easter Egger and is the one laying the greenish/blue eggs.

White hen one looks like a White Rock, don't know about the black one...some kind of mix?

I cannot see the earlobes in the pic of the white chicken. If the earlobes are red then she will lay brown eggs and could very well be a Plymouth White Rock mix breed bird. If the earlobes are NOT white then she is most likely a white leghorn mix breed.

All in all they all look to be mix breeds. the black one looks to be a black australorp mix breed or possibly a black orpington mix breed. I am not for sure about the other one as I would say the speckled on is just pure mutt.
gig.gif

looking at the black one a second time, I do not think she is a black orpington mix breed. I feel pretty certain she is a black australorp mix breed.

then I scroll down and read it a third time. Yep she is DEFINITELY a mix breed australorp. not for sure what she is mixed with, but the red feather on her chest is a dead giveaway she is not pure breed.

all in all, very pretty birds. I am sooo sorry to hear about your other ones. It is very hard to take when you lose your chickens like that. In time, you will love these just as much.

Have you thought about building a bator and hatching out your own for pure breed flock?

I am not sure about the white one or the dark one, but the cream/buff colored one looks like a salmon faverolle or faverolle mix. Are her legs/feet feathered? What color are her legs? How many toes does she have? Normally SFs don't have any black feathers, but if she may not be from pure bloodlines. Her coloring looks an awful lot like one though. She sure is pretty! Here are a couple links of salmon faverolle hens that I found online.
Pic #1
pic #2

Quote:
Doesn't it look like a Black sexlink with the red on it though instead of a mix. I know BSL are mixes but i dont think with australorps

OOOO
frow.gif
: PICK ME
ya.gif
I know what the black is......

She is a black sex link, i have one that looks almost exactly like her, but Sugar is sweet as can be and loves
love.gif
to be cuddled...

Back
Top Bottom