What [breed] are we?

garp94

Crowing
14 Years
May 2, 2009
Wrong Island, New York
They came from a local petstore and are supposed to be all girls, although i think there are 2 boys in the bunch. They are supposed to be "breeds", but I didn't ask what hatchery.
Wondering what breeds they are

she has clean yellow legs

silver what? chipmunk body.

boy, feathered yellow legs

the second boy, chipmunk body
His eye is fine, it's just the best shot of his head i could get.

Any ideas???

Last edited:
They are too young to accurately sex. First one looks like a buff Orpington, second one I don't know, third possibly a partridge Cochin, and last not sure either. Post some updated photos in a few weeks.

I would love for them to all be girls, and am not thinking boy bec they are so far behind the other 4 in feathering [ other two are Barred rock and black cochin ]
BUT, and picts might not show it well, but these two have pink wattles.........?

just wondering what they'll look like when older.

Last edited:
no other guesses???

I thought Orpingtons had pink legs,and the first girl has clean yellow. Maybe buff plymouth rock?? What other breeds come in buff with yellow legs?

I dont' think the partridge with feathered legs could be a cochin. The other chick that i believe is a cochin has so many feathers you don't see her legs [ I should post a pict of her]. It would be great if she was a marans, bec i'd like darker brown eggs, but I didn't think they came in that color, do they??

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Well if the first one has yellow legs, I should read stuff better, it might be a buff rock. Are they suppose to be purebred? Or could they be mixes?

they are supposed to be "breeds", an assortment ordered by the petshop. The staff doesn't know what breeds, but I could have asked if someone knew what hatchery they came from. That might have helped. When i go back for more feed i'll ask if someone knows.

Just makes the waiting more fun I guess.

I have a mystery in my flock too, and the conclusion is she is a mix, but not sure of what. We are waiting for our first eggs and it's a little exciting. She did come from a breeder so if she is a mix I'm hoping it was part of a project for either increased production, or perhaps an EE project and we'll get colorful eggs. It's fun watching them grow and change.

I'm happy to say i was wrong on the partridge, on both sex and breed. She is becoming a fluffy girl, and is probably a cochin: yellow feathered legs, straight comb. I couldn't find any other breed with those characteristics. she is just not as much a pillow as her black cousin.

I'm still wondering what the boy is. He's got some barring on his flight feathers i couldn't get in any picts, but he is facing the camera in the last shot, and his back is at 2 o'clock at the group feeding in the first.
Any suggestions?
BacksofChksFeeding.jpg
BCochin.jpg
2Cochins.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom