What Breed Are We?

mzlhomestead

In the Brooder
Dec 10, 2019
Ohio
Hello Everyone, I just moved to Ohio and ordered from the closest Hatchery to me; Meyers. I ordered their Meyer's Adopt Me Bargain, as I didn't care for sex. If they are boys, then they will hit the freezer when it's time. Girls will be kept for Layers.

Now my question is what do I have. First timer ordering from this hatchery and kind of a beginner. Sorry for the massive uploads of pictures.

Chicks In Question:

Chick #1 - Orpington? The Meal Maker on this day was Blue/Lavender Orpington according to the lady at Meyer Hatchery.
1.jpg

Chick #2 - Polish Maybe? Never had these before.
2.jpg

Chick #3 - ???
3.jpg

Chick #4- ???
4.jpg

Chick #5 -Has a White Spot on it's Head.
5.jpg

Chick #6 - ???
6.jpg

Chick #7 -???
7.jpg

Chick #8 - No White Spot on Head
8.jpg

Chick #9 - ??? Have 2 of these...
9.jpg

Chick #10 - Easter Egger? But these have feathered Legs? I have a few of these Chicks.
10.jpg

Chick# 11 - ??? Cochin?
11.jpg

Chick #12 - ? Got a few of these Chipmunk Ones.
12.jpg

Chick # 13 - Easter Egger? but no feathers on legs like the others. I got a few of these too. Just different colors.
13.jpg

Chick #14 -Easter Egger? with feathered legs?
14.jpg

Video of all the Chicks:

Meyer has quite a few colored egg laying mixes like Green Queens. These are going to be incredibly difficult to distinguish except perhaps by egg color. I'm just labeling them Egger for now. :)
1-looks more blue than lavender. Many possible blue breeds but if meal maker-likely Blue Orpington
2-White Crested Black Polish
3-quite a few possibilities. Perhaps Buff Orpington or New Hampshire Red
4-assuming it's a bantam-Bantam Mottled Cochin
5-can't quite see if there's a beard or not. Likely Olive Egger or Cuckoo Marans
6-wait until older. Rhode Island Red or Jubilee Orpington are likely.
7-likely an Olive Egger
8-need picture of comb to narrow down. Guessing Black Sumatra if pea comb. If single, Orpington, Marans, or Jersey Giant
9-Golden Cuckoo Marans
10-Egger (likely Green Queen)
11-Golden Cuckoo Marans
12-perhaps Partridge Penedesencas
13-Egger
14-Am I correct that this is a bantam? If so, Mille Fleur Belgian Bearded d'Uccle

"14-Am I correct that this is a bantam? If so, Mille Fleur Belgian Bearded d'Uccle"

- sorry I don't know how to quote.

I don't think so, its the same size as everyone else.

But Thank You very much. I am very excited about the Golden Cuckoo Marans.

Hello Everyone, I just moved to Ohio and ordered from the closest Hatchery to me; Meyers. I ordered their Meyer's Adopt Me Bargain, as I didn't care for sex. If they are boys, then they will hit the freezer when it's time. Girls will be kept for Layers.

Now my question is what do I have. First timer ordering from this hatchery and kind of a beginner. Sorry for the massive uploads of pictures.

Chicks In Question:

Chick #1 - Orpington? The Meal Maker on this day was Blue/Lavender Orpington according to the lady at Meyer Hatchery.
View attachment 3323669

Chick #2 - Polish Maybe? Never had these before.
View attachment 3323673

Chick #3 - ???
View attachment 3323679

Chick #4- ???
View attachment 3323682

Chick #5 -Has a White Spot on it's Head.
View attachment 3323688

Chick #6 - ???
View attachment 3323691

Chick #7 -???
View attachment 3323692

Chick #8 - No White Spot on Head
View attachment 3323694

Chick #9 - ??? Have 2 of these...
View attachment 3323695

Chick #10 - Easter Egger? But these have feathered Legs? I have a few of these Chicks.
View attachment 3323697

Chick# 11 - ??? Cochin?
View attachment 3323698

Chick #12 - ? Got a few of these Chipmunk Ones.
View attachment 3323700

Chick # 13 - Easter Egger? but no feathers on legs like the others. I got a few of these too. Just different colors.
View attachment 3323703

Chick #14 -Easter Egger? with feathered legs?
View attachment 3323707

Video of all the Chicks:

I am so new that I could not make a guess but I just love how cute they are.

You may find this helpful: https://meyerhatchery.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009871752-Day-Old-Chick-Identification

Although, I also live near Meyer and grabbed a chick from the bin there, and had no luck using that page to identify my bird. Luckily, now that she is older, I have identified her as a Jersey Giant. She kind of looked like #8 as a chick but without the white around the eyes, so may not be the same breed. She didn't look exactly like the Jersey Giant chick picture though either!

Some other guesses:

#2 Likely White Crested Black Polish
#3 Buckeye or Golden Buff? Hard to see the comb
#5 could be Barred Rock because they have a spot on their head. Or Marans I think.

Back
Top Bottom