What breed do you suggest I should get?

chickenlovefever

Songster
8 Years
Jul 19, 2011
So I am planning on buying some Lavender Orpingtons and building up our barn to fix seperate breeding pens. I plan on breeding and selling chicks for extra income.I am looking for a breed that is an excellent layer, pretty fast maturing, A little meaty ( basically a dual purpose breed only with a lot more feed to egg conversion) and a breed that many farmers or people would want to buy. I understand that there are people who will pay 10 $ for a rare chicken and then others that look at the price and walk away, just wanting a chicken that lays an egg, and this is why I am also getting the lavender orpingtons, and I know they are good producers, too. I need a breed that is easy to raise and breed and will provide the family with alot of produce, money and feed wise. I guess maybe heritage breeds? I don't know, But I would love it if you guys gave me a variety to choose from or even a breed that you breed that is inexpensive and gives the listed above.
Thankyou.

French Marans fit the bill well. I love them because they're very dependable layers of HUGE dark, nearly blackened reddish brown eggs, they're very meaty, very good dual purpose birds but also much faster growers than most heritage breeds out there. If you focus on some lines that are bigger than the standard calls for, that's always a plus. I'm no longer breeding Black Coppers but I'm still keeping my biggest hens because they provide for some excellent meat bird crosses, and still lay some very big eggs in the mean time.

Back
Top Bottom