What breed do you use for meaties and why?

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

We raise Commercial Broilers exclusively for our meat bird needs for two major reasons: Feed Conversion and Meat Yield.

Ditto here, and I'll add quick turn around.​

So am I going to have to go through a hatchery to get my Cornish-whatever, or do you think someone with a local farm would have 50-75 birds?

I still don't know what the diff is between Cornish Rock and Cornish X.
hmm.png

'Nother question. From what I've been reading, this would be a bad time of year to get chicks, since we'd be butchering in July--which is REALLY Hot here in HOT-Lanta. Is this true or not?

Thanks

If your going to get Cornish x (the fast growing hybrid) I would not get them now, they really don't do well in the heat. Many people choose only to raise them in spring and fall if they have hot summers to minimize losses.

Cornish (the pure breed) grow much slower than the Cornish x. They do get to a very good size and are a very nice meat bird. In fact, I just bought a full grown roo on the weekend and he's very meaty indeed!

If you want 50 - 75 Cornish x I'd order them straight from a hatchery. Many hatcheries stock them so shop around for prices and check shipping to make sure you get the best deal.
smile.png

I personally keep Dorkings. I chose them because they are a very old breed, very rare, duel purpose, forage very well, raise their own chicks and are supposed to be the best tasting chickens. I'll know how they taste after I raise my first batch of chicks. I only have 2 roos and 3 hens at the moment so no one goes in the pot yet.
lol.png

Didn't mention in the earlier post, but there are alternatives to chicken for meat if you absolutely didn't want the hybrid birds.

Rabbit can be processed in 8 to 12 weeks from birth or earlier if you like a smaller rabbit.

Pekin ducks can be processed in 8 weeks also and you can hatch your own Pekin ducks.

Cornish Rock and Cornish X are both a name for a hybrid cross between a Cornish and a 'Rock chicken.

We've raised Cornish X in the 80 and 90's weather over the summer and the results are just fine as long as there is good air circulation (FANS) for the area they are in. The birds in the summer used a little less feed then the early spring birds do.

4H requires this type of bird for the meat pen in our area so you are forced to raise at least a few of these in the summer each year if you want you kids to be to competitive at the fair.

Whether you like these birds or not, they can put meat in the freezer in a short period of time.

Last edited:
I would wait until fall. I have 3 right now, and they are suffering in the heat already. It's only May, and we are 2 states North of you!

Having grown all of them CX FR and Rosambro's and Kosher Kings. I like the Rosambro's and Kosher Kings or any of the meat birds from Nolls or MT-DI hatcheries. MT-DI has the Rosambro which get a breast as big as any CX with out any of the CX problems in only a week or two more and no stink. They also offer the FR at 1/2 the price of the Hatcheries others have shrines built too. Nolls has three meat birds all comprable to the FR for .60 Cents each a white a grey and a red your choice. Oh that was .60 cents each not 2.00 each as most people are paying... But momma always said some thing about a fool and money...

Okay, so if I get the CornishX, the earlies I should get them is late July, so they could be processed in late September, early Oct. I like the idea of a fast turnaround. I don't like the idea of stinky and unable to walk well, so may still go with a one of these others mentioned. We don't have fans in the pen we'd be putting them in, and they won't free-range--we have dogs in the neighborhood that are allowed to run free, so we don't freerange anyone anymore unless we are outside. Hate that, but I hate losing my birds to the senseless killing of some dog that "just wanted to play". And I can't shoot very well, so I'd miss them if I did the Shoot-shovel and shut-up method. If I get some of the slower growing birds, it's still too early to actually order them right now.

Bucky182, I looked up the two hatcheries you mentioned. As much as I was wanting something local to save on shipping, I might just go with these guys anyway, because the lower price makes up for the shipping cost. Nolls doesn't have a website. I like their pices, but I kinda want to see their birds. You have ordered from them? Any issues you've run into with them? I know the "fool and his money" thing, but I've also experienced "you get what you pay for". And I have three other familys besides ourselves I'm ordering for. Don't want 15 other people PO's at me! LOL!
So, I know you're a stranger to me, but I'd really like your opinion about their quality of birds, their service, etc.

I have ordered from both with no issues. Nolls is a Meninite family and are very nice people as well the folks at MT-DI are very nice and will answer any question you have of them. If you want a big breast go with the Rosambro from MT-DI I did mine last year at ten weeks and they were 4-4.5 lbs dresses and made a really nice bird. They are also white which makes a nice dressed bird also. To give you and idea of how nice Nolls are I was in Kansas last year when I ordered thier KK birds. They tried to get me to order from someone closer cause of the distance they had to be shipped. I got them anyway and they sent 5 extra on an order of 50 and they where all alive and healthy. I lost a couple do mostly to my mistakes, dropped a lamp on one, hurt a couple moving a tractor. Both breeds where very harty and did very well. The KK where dressed at 12 weeks with an average of 4-4.5 lbs dressed with HUGE thighs and legs. They also had a large breast but it is on a longer Keel that the Rosambro's. This year I am going to get Nolls Red Meat Maker which they say gets bigger and the Rosambro's again. You won't go wrong with either just depending on what you want in your bird. If you want a FR MT-DI is the cheapest in cost at like a 1.05 each. Nolls also has RR for eggs at 1.50 each which is well below the market price.
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

I am personally baffeled at why others on here don't at least give these two places a try? At .60 Cents what are you out? I am sure the Nolls birds would lay and reproduce also. MT-DI's birds are from French origin and Nolls have breed thier own if I am not mistaken.

I did 60 cornish white rocks last year,....I had birds that weighed 12 lbs. i had them on 22% mash for most of three months and they were HUGE. I probably shouldn't have let em go that long,...as some were a lil tough,..especially if BBQing them.

excellent in a gumbo though!

Quote:
Bucky, thanks for that info on Nolls and MT DI colored broilers. I just recently heard about MT DI and hadn't been able to find anything much on Nolls before. As for me, that's why I have not given them a try! I might order from both of them this year.

Is Nolls info strictly by phone or do they have a catalog?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom