**What Breed for eggs and kids**

mamaof2wi

Songster
6 Years
May 11, 2016
West Central Wisconsin
I am torn on what breed to add the our small flock. Right now we have Ancona's and a Cayuga. In the past we have also had Appleyards and Welsh Harlequins. These are my kids (11 & 12) ducks and they take care of them. So we are looking for ducks that are friendly and lay a good amount of eggs.

What I am thinking..
Blue Swedish
Appleyards
Welsh Harlequin

Thanks!

Attachments

• d.jpg
    d.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 33
My pekin girls lay very well. Pekins can be prone to weight gain which can cause leg issues and should be supplemented with extra niacin. My ladies are a year old and friendly. I have them with a lot of indian runners,
20210422_163312.jpg
which seems to keep them more active. 😁 They're a little boring in terms of coloring since they're just white, but I like their sweetness.

I really loved my Perkins, great personalities. Blue Swedish, Appleyard and Welsh H all have a nice temperament. I have almost all large bodied ducks and worry about their legs so I try to make sure they won’t get overweigh.

The Welsh Harlequin is a slightly more petite duck than the others mentioned. Nice personalities are common in what you mentioned however if I were to buy another duck it would be a regular Pekin, not Jumbo Or a pair/trio of Runners. I say this strictly on personality alone.

Welsh Harlequins are what we went with for same purposes. We wanted a small flock to be friendly pets, with the side benefit of eggs . Our Harlequins have been very calm.

We also picked up a couple swedish (one black, one blue). The black swedish is one of our calmer birds, but the blue swedish is the most skittish in our flock. I don't know whether to chalk this up to breed or individual personality, but it's what we've seen so far.

Our flock is 3 Welsh Harlequin, 1 black swedish, 1 blue swedish and 1 golden hybrid 300.

The 300 is about middle of the road. Not as calm as the WH, but calmer than the blue swedish by far.

I'm hoping ours calms down a little as she grows. They're still a young flock yet, and we handle her a little bit every day.

Back
Top Bottom