What breed & gender is this chicken

NatJ

Free Ranging
Mar 20, 2017
USA
She also has this huge bump type thing on her chin that as far as I can tell is completely abnormal.

If you mean those feathers sticking out, they are called muffs (sides of the face) and beard (below the chin.)

They are normal for certain breeds, including Spangled Russian Orloffs like her.

peyton233

In the Brooder
Dec 25, 2020
Is the bump just feathers? If so, it's normal. If not, you may want to start a thread in the Emergency forum. Someone there may have an idea.
It's not just feathers, it's definitely like. An actual body part? Idk how to explain it well, but its a large physical bump covered in feathers. It swings while she moves around. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and she's had it a long time, but if it's irregular like I thought I might go over to thaf forum and ask just to be sure.

Overo Mare

🙄🤚Treasurer
Premium Feather Member
Aug 26, 2019
Small-town, Virginia
It's not just feathers, it's definitely like. An actual body part? Idk how to explain it well, but its a large physical bump covered in feathers. It swings while she moves around. She doesn't seem to be in any discomfort and she's had it a long time, but if it's irregular like I thought I might go over to thaf forum and ask just to be sure.
Definitely irregular!

peyton233

In the Brooder
Dec 25, 2020
I bought this chick back in april, and she was in the bin for rhode island reds. She was larger than all the others, so I just assumed she was the oldest and from the previous week. As she grew she very quickly grew in white speckled feathers all over her body, leading me to believe based off my research that she might be a speckled sussex or something similar instead of a rhode island red. Now she's fully grown and much of the speckling has faded except for on her head, but she still doesn't quite look like a rhode island red.

I also have no clue if she is a hen or rooster- she has a rooster-ish face, but nothing that is concrete evidence as far as I can tell. She's six months now, and hasn't crowed at all but also hasn't laid an egg yet. She also has this huge bump type thing on her chin that as far as I can tell is completely abnormal.

If anyone has any clue as to if she is a rooster or a hen, what breed she might be, or what the bump is please let me know!

I added a lot of recent pics of her and one of her as a chick! She's definitely been unique looking since she was young.
Definitely irregular!
Okay, I'll go ask in there then! I've got a video that really shows the way it moves better than I can explain, but it's like a pouch of skin under her chin. Thank you for your help!

Top Bottom