1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breed is alpha?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aaisha, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

hi all, i got this chicken as a pullet and a pure RI red. but know he recently started crowing and saddle feather and hackle feathers have come and now he is clearly a rooster. he was odd to get slaughtered for we already had too many roosters... but i told my mother to leave him and kick out another roo, and so alpha(his name) has survived!

hmm, but let see... my other pure RI red, are lean and skinny, while Alpha here, is round and fat, i am wondering he is not a pure rhode island red, and he has the coloring of a buff orpington. could Alpha be a mix of orpington and rhode island red?

i will post some images of Alpha tommorow.

thanks...

P.S. Alpha got his name because we thought he was the Alpha hen!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If he is 'round and fat' and 'colored like a buff orpington', perhaps he is a buff orpington. Pictures will tell the tale.

3. Aaisha

i will post pics tommorow, hope he is a buff, i love them!

4. Aaisha

here are pics of alpha:

[​IMG]

pic #1

[​IMG]

above: alpha at the front, standing along with one RI red roosters at the back...

[​IMG]

above: alpha with RIR pullet...

[​IMG]

above: little blury image of alpha standing alone...

[​IMG]

above: Alpha along with the others...

[​IMG]

above: great image of alpha.. his feet are white as you can see...

[​IMG]

a great image above, Alpha hanging out with his brother...

[​IMG]

Alpha walking above...

[​IMG]

you can see color difference with Alpha(front) and other RI red roosters(back)

thanks!

5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    He's not a RIR, but he's not a Buff Orpington, either. Far too red to be a buff chicken. He looks a bit like a New Hampshire, but they should be redder and have green tail feathers. I honestly don't know what he is.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    He does look like a mix of the two especially since the RIR seem light colored also, pretty boy whatever he is.

7. Aaisha

thanks all, i was thinking that he i a mix of them, but i was leaning more towards buff orpington!

8. Aaisha

any more comments will be loved! i will keep you guys updated with pics of Alpha every now and then!

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Look at photos of Buff Orps on breeder websites (not a general image search). BOs should not have red, and should not have those darker shoulders.

10. Aaisha

k i will...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by