what breed is best at laying eggs?

Flock Runner

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2011
i want some good egglaying chickens but im not sure what breed is best. ive herd black Australorps and leghorns are good and i'm pretty sure black australorps have better eggs but how do leghorns compare and which has a better temperment? i'm pretty sure i'm going with the australorps because i already have experience with them.

Sex Links are supposed to be pretty good. Our Jersey Giant lays about 6 days a week. :) There's a breed chart on this website that tells you about the different breeds' sizes, temperaments, egg sizes/colors, and TONS of other really useful info. Check it out!

Flock Runner, On our hatcheries website under poultry. click on resources. and then click on Breed Chart. There you will see how well they do in certain climates and a bunch of information about different breeds, their egg sizes, colors, and temperaments.

http://www.domanifarm.com/breed-types.html

i want some good egglaying chickens but im not sure what breed is best. ive herd black Australorps and leghorns are good and i'm pretty sure black australorps have better eggs but how do leghorns compare and which has a better temperment? i'm pretty sure i'm going with the australorps because i already have experience with them.

I have been reading these forums for a while, and "which breed is the best egg layer?" seems to be a very common question.

The production white leghorns easily lay the most white eggs. I think the world record is something like 370 eggs from one hen in a year. But they will generally lay more than 300 large white eggs a year. There are several varieties of brown leghorn chickens, and many say they lay nearly as well as the whites if the chickens come from a good line. If you are in a cold area, get a rose comb light brown leghorn or a rose comb dark brown leghorn. But if cold is not a concern, you could get a single comb light brown leghorn, a Danish brown leghorn (very similar to light brown), or a single comb dark brown leghorn. The leghorns of the brown varieties can hide from predators better than whites. All leghorns are quick and can fly short distances to get up in a tree or onto something to avoid things like dogs. Leghorns generally do not like to be picked up and can be a little skittish around people. You should try handling the chicks regularly from the time they are very small to make them more comfortable around people.

Some say the Golden Comet chickens are the best layers of brown eggs. But I think other sex-links, production reds, and Rhode Island Red chickens lay about as well, Again, you have to get chickens from a good line.

There are also variations in chickens, as with anything else. One person is often different in many ways than his or her siblings. I think part of the fun of having chickens is having a variety of colors and personalities. So maybe you should try a variety of breeds and find out which ones you like best. Or you may find that you like them all. :)

I too had heard that black astralopes were excellent layers. I found out different...they are the "broodiest" breed I've ever raised. Along with buff orphingtons...If eggs are what you want...these breeds are not.

Back
Top Bottom