What breed is best for me?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mmlsavoie, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mmlsavoie

mmlsavoie New Egg

Mar 2, 2009
    Hi Everyone!

I need your advice--what breed would you recommend if I wanted a larger chicken (preferably 6+ lbs) to sit on goose-sized eggs. We're looking for a breed that is: broody, tolerant of a hot climate, friendly, calm, sweet, bears confinement well, plays well with others. Tolerant of the occasional hug a must. [​IMG]

Thank you! Any and all input is very much appreciated.

Megan [​IMG]

2. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    Orpington. Some say they are not heat tolerant, but mine do fine in our 110*F + summer heat. Great Mamas, big enough to cover goose eggs, ubber soft and cuddly....Perfect.

3. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Orpingtons are heat tolerant and are good mothers. Silkies on the other hand are excellent mothers and tend to be broody alot and can also hatching out both duck and geese eggs but do poor in heat conditions.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you just want to hit the feedstores or hatcheries for something, go with Orpingtons.

But if you truly want something big enough to incubate such large eggs, a bird over 7 lbs, and a bird that actually goes broody a lot - Look into non-hatchery heritage stock, imported breeds like Sussex, or French Marans.

My Sussex are the biggest chickens I've ever had, easily over 7 lbs for a hen, are very fluffy girls, and always reliable broodies.

The best thing to do is look for people selling Greenfire lines Sussex, Coronation Sussex, or Coronation Split Sussex.

5. mmlsavoie

mmlsavoie New Egg

Mar 2, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions, that's great!!

@Illia: where would I look for people selling such breeds? Here?

Thanks again,
    Megan:D

6. mmlsavoie

mmlsavoie New Egg

Mar 2, 2009
    Ah! Nevermind, I found some [​IMG]

7. orientphoenix

orientphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    u can try orientals, my girls are good in the heat but i can't speak for all orientals though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by