What breed is best for me?

mmlsavoie

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
Hi Everyone!

I need your advice--what breed would you recommend if I wanted a larger chicken (preferably 6+ lbs) to sit on goose-sized eggs. We're looking for a breed that is: broody, tolerant of a hot climate, friendly, calm, sweet, bears confinement well, plays well with others. Tolerant of the occasional hug a must.
smile.png

Thank you! Any and all input is very much appreciated.

Megan
D.gif

Orpington. Some say they are not heat tolerant, but mine do fine in our 110*F + summer heat. Great Mamas, big enough to cover goose eggs, ubber soft and cuddly....Perfect.

Orpingtons are heat tolerant and are good mothers. Silkies on the other hand are excellent mothers and tend to be broody alot and can also hatching out both duck and geese eggs but do poor in heat conditions.

If you just want to hit the feedstores or hatcheries for something, go with Orpingtons.

But if you truly want something big enough to incubate such large eggs, a bird over 7 lbs, and a bird that actually goes broody a lot - Look into non-hatchery heritage stock, imported breeds like Sussex, or French Marans.

My Sussex are the biggest chickens I've ever had, easily over 7 lbs for a hen, are very fluffy girls, and always reliable broodies.

The best thing to do is look for people selling Greenfire lines Sussex, Coronation Sussex, or Coronation Split Sussex.

Thanks for the suggestions, that's great!!

@Illia: where would I look for people selling such breeds? Here?

Thanks again,
Megan:D

Back
Top Bottom