What breed is he???

BaileyMChicks

Songster
May 8, 2015
Wisconsin
Okay, I know this is in the new member intro thing(I think???), but I'm kinda a newbie to this site so bear with me here.

Well, I have a rooster and we got him from a hatchery. He was said to be a buckeye. But now that I'm looking into it, he looks more like a RIR.....and I read somewhere that RIR Roos are pretty aggressive. And mine is agressive, too. My dad says he's 'just pretective of his hens' but he has attacked me multiple times, attacked my mom, and attacked my sister. And if you even get within 5 feet of him he will charge at your legs and try to attack.

Anyways, I was just wondering if he was a buckeye, RIR, or a production red roo. I would like to know very much. Thanks to anyone who gives me feedback. :)

Sorry for such a bad pic of him... :/. I might add a better one later

Buckeyes are supposed to have a pea comb. That looks like a Rhode Island Red. No rooster of any breed should see people as a threat and start attacking. Extreme aggression tends to be inherited and can be pass on to his chicks.

Thanks. Do hatcheries just sell production reds or RIRs and call them different breeds? Cuz I have a production red hen that looks like a buckeye. She has green/black at the very end of her tail and has a pea comb. And the only 'buckeye' we got is that rooster. And the reason I thought he was a RIR is cuz of the comb.

Thanks. Do hatcheries just sell production reds or RIRs and call them different breeds? Cuz I have a production red hen that looks like a buckeye. She has green/black at the very end of her tail and has a pea comb. And the only 'buckeye' we got is that rooster. And the reason I thought he was a RIR is cuz of the comb.
A production red is usually a hatchery hybrid cross of RIR and New Hampshire Red. Most hatcheries are usually pretty good about keeping their breeding stock separated so that only intentional hybrids occur. There are some, that don't maintain good lines and try to pass off accidental mixes off as purebreds.

I would be much more concerned with the aggressive rooster. There is NEVER a good reason to keep a BAD rooster. Loads of very good tempered roosters are being slaughtered because there are not enough good homes for them. Many areas do not allow roosters. A nasty rooster like yours should be swimming in a soup pot with noodles. Not only is her a danger to humans but, his progeny will likely carry his nasty persona as well. I am guessing he does NOT attack your father. The person not being attacked always views them in a different way.

Protective of hens, is from perceived dangers like wild animals, roving dogs, NOT people that they see every day. I would advise your mom and sister and you, to have someone with you for protection. I doubt your father will replace this roo with a decent one. The more you run from him, the mightier he thinks he is. Trying to tame a mean one generally does not work. The best you can hope for, is some predator taking off with him. A mean rooster is not worth more than a human .

I would be much more concerned with the aggressive   rooster.   There is NEVER a good reason to keep a BAD rooster.  Loads of very  good tempered roosters are being slaughtered because there are not enough good homes for them.  Many areas do not allow roosters.   A nasty rooster like yours should be swimming in a soup pot with noodles.  Not only is her a danger to humans but,  his progeny will likely carry his nasty persona as well.   I am guessing  he does NOT attack your father.  The person not being attacked  always views them in a different way.

Protective of hens, is from perceived dangers like wild animals, roving dogs, NOT people that they see every day.  I would advise your  mom and sister and you, to have someone with you for  protection.  I doubt your father will replace this roo with a decent one. The more you run from him, the mightier he thinks he is. Trying to tame a mean one generally does not work.  The best you can hope for, is some predator taking off with him.  A mean rooster is not worth more than  a human .

Yes he does not attack my dad. And I would like to get rid if him, but, it's not my decision. He is my sisters rooster. And she won't get rid of him. She won't get rid of any of our chickens. I have an EE banty hen whose constantly got a giant gash or peck mark and is terrorized every day. I KNOW I have to get rid if her, cuz sooner or later she will be pecked to death or get an infection and die. I may have found a person that'll take her. But my sister won't let me give her away.

Anyways, I was thinking of possibly trying to 'tame' him with my friends whose Roos are all nice. And the reason they would be helping us is because they aren't scared. I was thinking the reason he attacks is cuz we are scared, and show it btw, and run away all the time. If my dad goes to pet him, he runs like a bat outta hell to get away from him.

And I was wondering, are RIRs generally more agressive? I read on many sites that they are, but idk......

rir are hit or miss on aggressiveness. the people i have talked to said to get straight run and when they are old enough eat all but the nicest... hatcheries tend to end up promoting aggressiveness because of the way they keep them. the only mean one i have had was a new hampshire red. and yes being afraid of him or fighting him will encourage him to be aggressive.

i have a buckeye roo i wish i could transplant his personality to every roo i have. he is a pushover right up until you annoy a hen. i had to treat my birds for lice this spring and came out of that a bloody mess. every time i picked someone up and started spraying them he would attack lol. with all the predators here i consider him a real find.

i would get a separate coop and run for the banty. she is going to keep getting picked on until she is separated. she can run away when they free range but when penned up she needs her own spot.

Back
Top Bottom