What breed is my chick? I’m thinking Cuckoo Maran?

She’s 3.5 weeks old, I included a baby picture and a 2 current picture.

I got an assortment so this is a list of the breeds she can be:
Barnevelder, Blue Andalusian, Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Buff Brahma, Cochin, Columbian Wyandotte, Cuckoo Marans, Dark Brahma, Dominique, French Black Copper Marans, French Cuckoo Marans, French Wheaten Marans, Lavender Orpington, Light Brahma, Midnight Majesty Marans, Olive Egger, Prairie Bluebell Egger, Salmon Faverolle, Sapphire Olive Egger, Silver Lakenvelder, Speckled Sussex, Starlight Green Egger, and Welsummer
Sometimes hatcheries throw in a "free" bird, whether or not you asked for one. I got a "free" Bielefelder rooster that I had to get rid of because I am not allowed to have a rooster within the city limits. Did you get the exact number of birds you ordered, or were there extras? I will be curious to know how this mixed flock does for you. I don't have a ton of experience with different breeds, but I do know that similar looking birds prefer to hang out together. Of my mature flock, two Rhodies were best buddies, and two differently colored Wyandottes hung out with each other by default. In my younger flock, the two Golden Wyandottes are best buddies. I have one young Easter Egger and one young Bielefelder and they are allies, but not "best buddies," both being the odd ladies out, so to speak. So even though my two flocks were all raised together from very young ages, they don't necessarily accept everyone else equally. In your case, you are going to have a lot of different looking hens with no pairings. I am going to love hearing you report on flock dynamics and sharing photos of your birds as they mature!

Back
Top Bottom