What breed is my chicken?

chloe oxman

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 8, 2013
Sydney, Australia
I have a 6 weeks old chicken that I hatched. Was told he/she was a road island leghorn or something. I don't know if that is right but that's what I was told. What do you think it is?

Also, I don't know if you can tell from the pictures but do you think it's a male or female??
Thanks a heap. :) :weee

The chick is young and you might get a better picture of the comb, but from that picture with the pink wattles and comb in the first pic I would vote possible roo. He also seems to have feathered feet? Would guess Langshan or Marans or mix in that case, especially with the black color.

Looks like a Black Langshan, Marans, or possibly hatchery-quality Black Cochin. Or it could be a mix of those breeds. Its still young to tell, but the pink comb/wattles are making me think cockerel as of right now. But I would post new photos in a few weeks; by then the gender should be more obvious.

I think you have a Black Langshan or a Black Cochin (hatchery-quality, as it doesn't have very much feathering on the legs). Due to the pink comb and wattle, I'm guessing rooster.

With the black legs, I don't think it is a Cochin. Mine all have gold colored legs even the black ones.
I love the white markings on it, even though I expect it will grow out. Since the person that you got it from said it was a RIR Leghorn, I am thinking this chick is a black sex-link. One of the parents is obviously wrong since it has those feathered legs, but maybe that parent also was a cross and that is where the feathers came from.
Beautiful chick, never-the-less.

BTW...I have a bantam chick that is a couple of weeks older that is supposed to be a purebred. It also has feathered legs like your chick. I havd looked everywhere trying to decide on what breed it could be. I still haven't figured it out and probably never will as he is being sold.

Last edited:
Just took it back out to the farm where I got it from. Is was told that it is definetly a girl. I looked at all her siblings and their all roosters. She looks nothing like them. So happy it's a girl. Now I can keep her here. I put her with her brothers to see if she liked it better there but she freaked out n cried when I walked away. I got a little emotional so the man said I could keep her. Super happy I have my baby now. She is happy where she is n loves being my girl.
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png

Just took it back out to the farm where I got it from. Is was told that it is definetly a girl. I looked at all her siblings and their all roosters. She looks nothing like them. So happy it's a girl. Now I can keep her here. I put her with her brothers to see if she liked it better there but she freaked out n cried when I walked away. I got a little emotional so the man said I could keep her. Super happy I have my baby now. She is happy where she is n loves being my girl.
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
2764.png
good enjoy her noow! i cnt say anything on the breed, sorry

Back
Top Bottom