What Breed Is My Gosling?

The Dim Side

Songster
Mar 16, 2021
signal-2021-04-04-230721.jpeg

Hello! Does anyone know what breed this 4-week-old gosling is (ignore the messy belly)? We were told it would be a Roman Tufted, but it looks nothing like our other one. I've seen pictures of (allegedly) it with its all-white Roman Tufted parents, but the breeder had multiple breeds, so I'm wondering if one of the eggs got mixed up with the geese or something?

The breeder said sometimes Roman Tufteds are just darker in color while young, but it's growing dark feathers, too. And its bill is dark (and curved differently) and legs are pinkish compared to the orange of my other one. From cursory searches online, it kind of looks like a Chinese goose? They make the same noises though, and I'm not familiar with geese to know if breeds make different sounds or if all geese make the same ones, lol.

(And Happy Easter!)

I happened to come across a photo elsewhere on here of what looks like my gosling but a little older! At least with the light tan tummy. Those four in the middle in this picture, does anyone know what they are?

Tooey Lookalikes.jpg

Yeah she does look like a cross, does she have the Swan Goose stripe running down the back of her neck? And dark eyes? and orange as opposed to pink I think for Romans.
Is this the swan goose stripe? From pictures I saw online of them, their light color is lighter than hers, but it is darker on the back of the neck than the rest of her. And dark brown eyes! My Roman tufted is probably not pure either because his bill and feet are more orange than I think Romans are supposed to be with pink.

1644028255178.png

Great looking birds, yeah that's it, the stripe you see on Chinese and Africans (Swan Geese). I'm not an expert on Roman coloring, but I believe that's what I've read that for Romans. Yours looks very healthy.

Thank you! He's definitely a big dork though, lol. And I think he's gotten into mating mode (they're 11 months old now), so he's become more protective/aggressive with strangers around. Or maybe just because he's getting older, I'm not sure. But he still loves me, so it's okay, haha. But I think he's also been trying to mate with us humans, too. 😆 Not aggressively, but he'll try and climb up on our legs, trying to figure out what to do.

And you think my gray one is part swan goose then? She is very loud generally, which I know those breeds are known to be, lol. I was also told she'd molt to white after a year or so, but we'll see if that happens! I really love her coloring now though, so I hope she doesn't change.

Back
Top Bottom