What Breed is my hen?

The Silkies I'm used to seeing have a blue-ish color. 

images
They are iridescent -white/blue. If you catch them before they start to lay, it is less blue and more white.

When you mix a white layer with a brown layer, you can get anything in terms of ear lobe colour. It does not signify egg colour if they are mixed breeds.

Last edited:
They are iridescent -white/blue. If you catch them before they start to lay, it is less blue and more white.
When you mix a white layer with a brown layer, you can get anything in terms of ear lobe colour. It does not signify egg colour if they are mixed breeds.
I learn something new everyday
smile.png
, Thanks
thumbsup.gif

Thanks when you cross breed two different breeds what does the chick get from the male and what does it get from the female like if you breed a millie fluer d'uccle rooster with a blue cochin hen what color would the chick be and would the chick features look like the nillie fluer or cochin I'm asking because i saw a post @ breeding and it said you get the color and breed from the female but this post was about how to breed a frizzle and that the frizzle comes from the male

Thanks when you cross breed two different breeds what does the chick get from the male and what does it get from  the female  like if you breed a millie fluer d'uccle rooster with a blue cochin  hen what color would the chick be and would the chick features look like the nillie fluer or cochin I'm asking because i saw a post @ breeding and it said you get the color and breed from the female but this post was about how to breed a frizzle and that the frizzle comes from the male
None of those things are true. Frizzle is a gene that can be from either parent. It's better coming from the father because you only need one frizzle rooster and many regular hens to create frizzle chicks. However, you can have many frizzle girls and a regular rooster and get frizzled babies.

As for the question above. It won't have markings like the mille fleur. I am pretty sure it will be a plain colour. Can't say for sure though.

I have never seen the cross before. You most likely will get a full feathered bird with feathered feet, beard/muffs and a single comb. I may be a bit bigger than a D'Uccle in terms of width.

Google images didn't help me locate an actual reference picture, so I'm sorry I can't show you what the possibilities are. There are a ton of silkie x d'uccle mixes - and they are stinking cute. :love

This is what the chicken calculator gave me for colours.
25% Pullets, blue unicolor
25% Pullets, black unicolor
25% Cockerels, blue unicolor
25% Cockerels, black unicolor

Ok I was asking because I have a millie fluer d'uccle rooster and a silkie rooster and several differant breeds of hens the only pair I have is the millie fluer's but I just hatched 2 silkie eggs that I bought so hopefully there will be a female hopefully 2 out of two for my male silkie but I have one more question I bought my silkie roo from a chicken auction he looked like his feathers were broken like he had been abused or maybe he was molting I don't know what that looks like yet but he does have a few growing back but anyway i guess that is my first question but not my main question i ramble he appears to be older too so would he still be fertile? Is a rooster always fertile I only have 1 hen laying all the others are too younge but her eggs are fertile but both roo's have had there way but not sure if my millie is old enough he is roughly 4 to 5 maybe 6 months old. Any input would help

Ok I was asking because I have a millie fluer d'uccle rooster and a silkie rooster and several differant breeds of hens the only pair I have is the millie fluer's but I just hatched 2 silkie eggs that I bought so hopefully there will be a female hopefully 2 out of two for my male silkie but I have one more question I bought my silkie roo from a chicken auction he looked like his feathers were broken like he had been abused or maybe he was molting I don't know what that looks like yet but he does have a few growing back but anyway i guess that is my first question but not my main question i ramble he appears to be older too so would he still be fertile? Is a rooster always fertile I only have 1 hen laying all the others are too younge but her eggs are fertile but both roo's have had there way but not sure if my millie is old enough he is roughly 4 to 5 maybe 6 months old. Any input would help
For the most part they are always fertile, though fertility decreases with age.

He could have been picked on by other roosters. My silkie roo is finally in his best condition after my barred rock pulled out a ton of his feathers :(

ok that is good to know so my hens eggs could be from both intresting I wonder what the chicks are gonna look like either way they are all cute so I'm sure the chicks will be pretty yeah you might be right @ another rooster he didn't have any tail feathers and now they are growing back he is pretty big though I would have hated to see his bully.

ok that is good to know so my hens eggs could be from both intresting I wonder what the chicks are gonna look like either way they are all cute so I'm sure the chicks will be pretty yeah you might be right @ another rooster he didn't have any tail feathers and now they are growing back he is pretty big though I would have hated to see his bully.
Don't count your eggs before they hatch ;) Good tip I learned straight away. He's big? Silkies shouldn't weigh more than 36 ounces full grown (males).
_MG_3258.jpg
Here is my 3 year old male - Steve. Now
_MG_1743.jpg
Right when I took him out of the main population. He has his own coop/flock now. Actually here is a better picture of his feather damage from another rooster.
_MG_0860.jpg

Last edited:

This is Grover he is getting his confidence back He is the biggest Roo but hasn't put his foot down yet pretty much gets along with the other rooster they have a few words here and there.

Back
Top Bottom