what breed is my hen

Does your bird that lays smaller eggs have the same basic coloring as this hen? If not, she's not a red sex link...if she is, you got a bummer bird or something. My rsl always lay huge eggs that didn't fit in the carton.

I don't think you can go by that. It's completely possible to have RSL that lay different sized eggs. The majority of my laying flock are RSL and I only have a few that lay super jumbo eggs that don't fit in the carton. The vast majority lay a nice large to extra-large egg. We often have one or two that lay gigantic eggs, and one or two that only lay a large egg instead of an extra large egg. This holds true even if the birds are all from the same hatchery and hatched on the same day.

I've found that once you get used to a "normal" egg being an extra large, standard size larges look small. I'm always putting an egg on the scale because it looks so small, then having it weigh 57 grams.

How's your flock looking this spring, @donrae ?

I don't think you can go by that. It's completely possible to have RSL that lay different sized eggs. The majority of my laying flock are RSL and I only have a few that lay super jumbo eggs that don't fit in the carton. The vast majority lay a nice large to extra-large egg. We often have one or two that lay gigantic eggs, and one or two that only lay a large egg instead of an extra large egg. This holds true even if the birds are all from the same hatchery and hatched on the same day.

I've found that once you get used to a "normal" egg being an extra large, standard size larges look small. I'm always putting an egg on the scale because it looks so small, then having it weigh 57 grams.

How's your flock looking this spring, @donrae ?
I think you've hit a good point here! The majority of my eggs are just "normal' to me, and I don't weigh them or anything. But, other folks comment on how big they are. I guess it's kinda like having a Great Dane and having everyone comment on how big she is....I'm with her all the time, so she just looks normal to me. Kinda like a dork, but normal
big_smile.png

WoS-- we're doing well here! Got a broody on 6 eggs. I've butchered roosters and sold hens and really trimmed things down so I can focus on my sex link breeding projects. I've got an order from Ideal coming in May and of course always need more pens and space!

Back
Top Bottom