what breed is my rooster?

Dual purpose breeds= breeds used for both eggs and meat. Orpingtons, Rocks, Buckeyes, Domaniques and Welsummers are a few, but there are many more. You can look at the breed list on www.feathersite.com to see which breeds are considered egg producers, meat producers, dual purpose and ornamental
smile.png

I understand what dual purpose breeds means. :) Im interested why after breeding Leghorn rooster with dual purpose hen, there gonna increase egg production. Leghorns lay around 180-220 eggs, so if I breed them with Vorwerk, witch ones ar dual purpose but they lay less than leghorns, so the ofssprings gonna lay more than 220 eggs in year?

I understand what dual purpose breeds means. :) Im interested why after breeding Leghorn rooster with dual purpose hen, there gonna increase egg production. Leghorns lay around 180-220 eggs, so if I breed them with Vorwerk, witch ones ar dual purpose but they lay less than leghorns, so the ofssprings gonna lay more than 220 eggs in year?

Where are you getting your production rates for leghorns? That is far lower than the production numbers I have seen for them. Their feed economy and high production is what makes them the breed of choice for commercial egg production.

Last edited:
Where are you getting your production rates for leghorns? That is far lower than the production numbers I have seen for them. Their feed economy and high production is what makes them the breed of choice for commercial egg production.
I agree with Ol Grey Mare. My white leghorns produce atleast around 300 eggs per year if not more. I am breeding them with my RIR rooster which produces Tetra Tints. A hybrid that will also be high production layers.

Last edited:
To clarify, I meant adding the Leghorn blood to the dual purpose bird means the offspring will lay more than the dual purpose parent, not more than the Leghorn.

OKey. I said about Italian brown leghorn hens.
http://perfektiputni.1s.lv/228-leghorne-italu-bruna/
White or other leghorns are 280-320..
I get the idea of donrae.. Its logical, if breeding layer with dual purpose, they avarage of egg production gonna be more than dual purpose. I just thought there is some magic under saying that. :D

Is there anything i can do for him to prevent frostbite?
The suggestion of Vaseline is good - also, one of the best things to do to prevent frostbite is to control the humidity in the coop. Cold dry air is not the problem, cold moist air is when you run into issues of frostbite. A well ventilated coop (helps keep moisture contributed by the birds respirations moved out of the coop) that is kept clean (droppings are a big contributor to humidity due to be very moisture rich) and does not have additional sources of humidity (ie waterers in the coop) is key in controlling humidity and helping to protect against things like frostbite.

Back
Top Bottom