What breed is she?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cricketsfarm, Oct 17, 2013.

1. cricketsfarm

cricketsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Nauvoo, AL
    Australorp or Sumatra or mixed? or something else?

2yrs old
    lays medium size medium brown eggs.
    I got her from my sister and she can't remember if she bought her as a chick from the feed store or if she was a cross breed of some of her others that she can't remember was in the coop.
    It can't be full blooded sumatra cause it doesn't have the pea comb.....right?
    and it can't be the australorp cuase the comb and wattle is too dark....right?
    [​IMG]

2. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    you are right, not an australorp but what about an Ayam Cemani? they do not have pea combs but look more like the picture you have. could also be a mix of breeds.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Maybe a combination of both?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Maybe just a mixed breed hen. I don't have Aussies or Sumatras or any solid black birds in my layer flock, but I hatched out several black pullets this year. Black is a common color from mixed breeding.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm guessing that she is just a mix. She doesn't look right for either a Sumatra or an Australorp.

6. Mickey Lou 04

Mickey Lou 04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    That is what came to mind with me as well. As this bird looks a lot like this but in this situation it sounds like a cross with a VERY similar

I must say I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought of this. Hehe. BorneHomestead have you been looking at Green Fire Farms? [​IMG]

7. BorneHomestead

BorneHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2013
    Nope not at all, I just did a google search for black combed chickens

8. Mickey Lou 04

Jun 14, 2013
    Huh, I only read about that breed yesterday.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Are those even in the US yet? If they are, they weren't 2 years ago, and this hen is 2 years old.

And if they are, what do you think the chances are someone wound up with one not knowing what it is? That's something you've got to think of. The whole thinking horses instead of zebras when you hear hoofbeats.

10. Mickey Lou 04

Jun 14, 2013
    That's what I was saying is it is a cross with a very similar appearance. I also found it funny that someone else thought they looked similar. I wasn't trying to make anyone upset.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by