What breed is this + a silly question about it.

I have a hen just like that and she is super fast and very wild.

Last edited:
Thanks for the breed info. What would another run and coop do? When she 1st showed up at my house she was in the yard. I opened the gate to my run and chased her in, she had free access to a HUGE coop and about 1/2 an acre of securely fenced in yard. At night she would fly up in the trees... she had no interest in the coop, except to go in to eat, and occasionally lay an egg.

Oh sorry missed you already had a coop. I would suggest if the coop is very secure from predators, get her and her babies in there and lock them up for at least two weeks. Chicks are vulnerable to hawks, they would be exposed out in the yard, waiting until they are a little older improves their chances slightly if they prove to be a problem at your place.

Chickens make habits and they can be hard to break. I would not recommend clipping wings but if she starts trying to stay in trees once she decides the chicks are old enough you can either clip one of her wings so she can't easily get into trees, 'forcing' her to use the coop or trick them by giving particularly liked treats or regular feed if they don't have access to that the whole day inside the coop in the evenings and close the door once they're all in.

I have all their feed in the coop, and at the end of the day when they all go to bed I lock up the coop. I'd hate to keep the mother and her peeps locked up in the coop all day cause it get especially hot and the other like to lay their eggs in there. I could try and tempt her with treats in the coop right before I lock the others up in the evening. Of coarse I don't really mind her sleeping in the trees when the others are old enough. She seems to do pretty good on her own sleeping in the trees. Like I said she gets up high... about 20 feet or more in the trees.

Turns out this girl laid her eggs right under my feet. Literally!
My coop is an old shed, and behind the shed was an opening that went underneath the shed. I closed it up with tin years ago. This evening I stayed up to watch and see where she takes the peeps. She took them behind the shed (coop). We went behind the coop and she was gone. I checked in the bushes and found nothing. She left two peeps behind so I had to find her. For some reason I pulled the tin off to check under the coop and bam there she was! Egg shells mom and peeps. Turns out there was a small tiny opening where the peeps could easily get in and out but I still have no clue how mom got in there. It has to be a tight squeeze. Anyway, at least I know how she survived all the foxes and where shes been hiding for the past 3 weeks. I find it odd that she didn't make any noises or anything when I was walking around in the shed. The floor is very unstable and theres not much room under the shed. When I was standing just above her the floor had to just about be touching her head.

I'll take pictures tomorrow in daylight to show where shes going. Theres a tiny opening that goes under the shed in the front of the shed just where she was laying. I could squeeze the two peeps through and when I shined the flashlight in I saw momma putting them underneath her with the other 7.

Turns out this girl laid her eggs right under my feet. Literally!
My coop is an old shed, and behind the shed was an opening that went underneath the shed. I closed it up with tin years ago. This evening I stayed up to watch and see where she takes the peeps. She took them behind the shed (coop). We went behind the coop and she was gone. I checked in the bushes and found nothing. She left two peeps behind so I had to find her. For some reason I pulled the tin off to check under the coop and bam there she was! Egg shells mom and peeps. Turns out there was a small tiny opening where the peeps could easily get in and out but I still have no clue how mom got in there. It has to be a tight squeeze. Anyway, at least I know how she survived all the foxes and where shes been hiding for the past 3 weeks. I find it odd that she didn't make any noises or anything when I was walking around in the shed. The floor is very unstable and theres not much room under the shed. When I was standing just above her the floor had to just about be touching her head.

I'll take pictures tomorrow in daylight to show where shes going. Theres a tiny opening that goes under the shed in the front of the shed just where she was laying. I could squeeze the two peeps through and when I shined the flashlight in I saw momma putting them underneath her with the other 7.
Wow! Amazing!

The 1st picture is my coop, the 2nd picture shows the front door of the shed. That little yellow piece of siding on the front folds open and just inside there is where she takes her peeps at night. Thats where I stuck the two left behind peeps in that hole last night. The 3rd picture is where the opening was in the back of the shed. Her peeps probably squeeze underneath the tin, Only god knows how mom gets in. I would think maybe she jumps in that opening in the top. I dunno. The 3rd picture is inside that little fort I built thats in front of the shed for the mom to take her peeps during the day. I keep food and water in there just for the peeps and mom. The other chickens can't get in there.

The 1st picture is my coop, the 2nd picture shows the front door of the shed. That little yellow piece of siding on the front folds open and just inside there is where she takes her peeps at night. Thats where I stuck the two left behind peeps in that hole last night. The 3rd picture is where the opening was in the back of the shed. Her peeps probably squeeze underneath the tin, Only god knows how mom gets in. I would think maybe she jumps in that opening in the top. I dunno. The 3rd picture is inside that little fort I built thats in front of the shed for the mom to take her peeps during the day. I keep food and water in there just for the peeps and mom. The other chickens can't get in there.
Adorable babies! How many are there? I see 8? If you can never keep the mom you should one of her babies! Mama might be too wild but maybe you can tame her babies! That'd be cool! I love the striped baby and the nearly white baby too!

As long as they stick around I'll keep them... momma too. There are 9 total. If they are roosters and become to mean or loud I might sell them or give them to a friend who has chickens and doesn't mind roosters.

Back
Top Bottom