What breed is this and why is her tail pin feathers bleeding?

The tought crossed my mind as well. Surely not! I will try to pull out the feathers tomorrow. It sounds so painful. I did notice that this person used cedar for a ground cover in the run. I know it is bad for respirtory infections, but could it have made it want to pull them out? Maybe it developed an allergy.

Yes, a broken or cut feather will not allow the blood to clot and the bird will bleed to death. It might hurt a little and make him squawk some, but he might not make it 'til morning.
i have never had a problem with blood feathers bleeding and not stopping they do stop on their own but adding flour will help it out faster...all of my birds for the most part are feather legged breeds and the feathers on their legs are all blood feathers and they break them all the time. they never bleed to death. same as with taking a spur off (not cutting the whole spur off nor even cutting it) taken a pair of plirs and get a good grip on the spur and then slowly twist till you hear/feel a pop and the spur will slide right off and you will get blood but flour helps it stop

i have never had a problem with blood feathers bleeding and not stopping they do stop on their own but adding flour will help it out faster...all of my birds for the most part are feather legged breeds and the feathers on their legs are all blood feathers and they break them all the time. they never bleed to death. same as with taking a spur off (not cutting the whole spur off nor even cutting it) taken a pair of plirs and get a good grip on the spur and then slowly twist till you hear/feel a pop and the spur will slide right off and you will get blood but flour helps it stop

Thanks, that's good to know. I only have experience with blood feathers in parakeets, and you very little time to stop the bleeding before they die. Tiny little critters don't have much blood to begin with!

Today is better for it. The bleeding stopped on its on. It looks like it happened a while back because most of the feathers are starting to grow back in. At a closer look, at wondering what sex it is, there is no spurs on it's legs. Not even a bump or place that maybe it was one there. Do all roos have spurs or is there a breed without one? It was born probably about May/June time frame. It would have a sign of a bump by now. Puzzling hu?

Ok, positive id! Faverolle rooster! Although I am still puzzled about there is no spur and no leg feathers.

Glad he is doing better. I was thinking maybe a dog or some other animal got hold of him and chewed off his feathers. You may have to wait until next year to see his tail. Will you keep him?

I gave him back to the owner today. I warned him of rats and animals while freeranging them. As well as the roo and others pulling out the feathers. The bleeding has stopped. Would you believe, it crowed today! So, yea it is a rooster! I can't believe it just started crowing at my house. He obviously hasn't paid much attention to them.

Definitely looked like an EE to me. Faverolles have single combs. Sometimes birds will peck each other if they are feeling too crowded and bleeding feathers can be the result. That may have been the case here, especially if it was a younger bird compared to the others. Definitely was a rooster though!

Back
Top Bottom