What breed is this beautiful rooster? I think American Game???

mycutekitties

Songster
10 Years
Aug 15, 2009
Modesto, California
Meet "The Boss" We have had him 2 years and he has never shown us an once of aggression towards us BUT he has been very mean to one of our young roosters. I need to re-home him but I can't remember his breed. I am thinking American Game?
the_boss.jpg

Just a question...if he is a good rooster, then why re-home him? I think I would keep him and get rid of the youngsters first. Just curious as to why you would rather get rid of a proven good roo? Is he mean to the hens? Sorry I can't help with the breed...I hope you don't take my question the wrong way. Just curious is all.
smile.png

He is good that he doesn't bother us but my daughter has very much bonded (plays with him every day) to this other rooster. I let her decide who she wanted to keep and she choose the one that lets her pick him up, carry him ect.

you could always just put them into different runs with at least 2 pullets a peice and make 2 tros. he does look like a game bird

yep, looks like the 100 games we just confiscated....but I do not know the difference between American and other games...as for rehoming him vs the other guy, from what I have been reading about roos here, young roos change their stripes as they start to reach maturity...are you sure you cannot hang on to both for now, just in case the young guy turns out to not be so nice?

Quote:
i would agree to that i had a sweet young rir back when i was around 6 and as he got older he got meaner and meaner to the point that he attacked me and left a good short deep gash on my leg, needless to say he had to go...he was my best 4-h chicken to getting grand champion.

He looks a lot like my Hatch Roo. He too is very good, not aggressive, crows in the morning and thats it. Young roos can be gentle at times and let you handle them, but I believe that will change as he gets his hormones going!
103921_p1010061.jpg

He is only about 7 months in this pic

He's really sharp-looking!! See if you could do a small scrap-lumber project instead of rehoming him!!

He's a game breed of some sort and probably quite self-sufficient regarding feed ($$$) vs. foraging (free)

I don't think he'd taste good for dinner...

Back
Top Bottom