1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breed is this chick?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dinos_rock, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Sorry, I don't have any pics...but hopefully my describing skills are good enough.[​IMG]
    I helped my dad pick out some chicks for his farm, and now that I might get some chicks, I want to get the same kind I picked out for him...

The chick was a little smaller than all the rest of the day old chicks. It was a grayish-whitish color and it had one thick dark brown stripe from the top of its head down it back. I saw the chicks a couple weeks later and the rhode island red chicks were huge and this little guy was still about the same size as when I first saw him. When I went with my dad, I helped him pick out six chicks: 3 rhode island reds, 2 cochins, and then this little guy. I believe he is a bantam because he is soooo teeny! But I don't know what it is.

Sorry if my description was horrible -which it is- but I will try to find a picture...[​IMG]

2. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Ok heres a pic (I forgot I had it.) It is the littlest chick in the front. (Oh and I know there is only one rhode island red, but I forgot what the others were so I just said they were rhode island red so you would know that they are about the same size.) Anyway....does anyone know what it is?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Whatever it is, I want one! Looks like a baby skunk!! Very cute!!

4. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I know that's why I want one too![​IMG]
    I think it might be a cochin, but I could be wrong.... I really have no idea...[​IMG]

5. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    :confused:Maybe its a rare breed that accidently got mixed in somehow with the rest.....[​IMG]

6. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Here is a picture that is much more recent. Notice how small it still is, like it hadn't grown at all...[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (I know- the bottom of the cage is really dirty. I took this pic right before I cleaned the cage, though, so don't worry....)

7. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    the ones with stripes on their backs look like Easter Eggers. EE are Ameraucana crosses that hatcheries mistakingly sell as americana/araucanas. They lay blue, pink, or green eggs.

8. Dinos_rock

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Quote:Are those bantams? If not, then why is it so small.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It could be a bantam. Easter Eggers do come in bantam size. OR, it could just be a runt. If so, with proper feed, it'll probably catch up.

10. nccatnip

nccatnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Piedmont area NC
    Looks alot like my OEGB chicks..could be wrong because my Gold Phoenix also have the srtipe and eyeline but are much larger and have green colored legs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by