What breed is this chicken?

Barnes20

Hatching
Apr 14, 2020
I purchased it in a random straight run of heavies and haven’t ever seen a chicken like it!

Attachments

• EF8DB26D-D416-4C61-9CA0-FF551D48C930.jpeg
    EF8DB26D-D416-4C61-9CA0-FF551D48C930.jpeg
    451.3 KB · Views: 15
I can't say for sure, but it reminds me of my silver penciled rock as a baby. I called her Ripley because her chick down color reminded me of fudge ripple ice cream. LOL

I think it could be a Dark Brahma
No feathers on the legs, Don't think it's a brahma. Could be an Easter Egger, the legs look like they have a greenish cast. Some of my Easter eggers looked very similar to this. It also looks like the comb is barely visible so could be a pea comb.

I agree that the dark legs suggest Easter Egger.

The feathers remind me of some chicks I've seen with a partridge color pattern--Dark Cornish, Partridge Rock, Partridge Wyandotte, Partridge Chantecler. (They look almost alike except for comb differences: pea, single, rose, walnut.) None of those are supposed to have dark legs, but it could be one of them anyway (because hatchery's aren't always careful enough selecting their breeding stock.)

What kind of comb does it have?

No feathers on the legs, Don't think it's a brahma. Could be an Easter Egger, the legs look like they have a greenish cast. Some of my Easter eggers looked very similar to this. It also looks like the comb is barely visible so could be a pea comb.

I agree it could be a EE as well if it has a pea comb. I remember now that one of my EEs had a similar pattern as a chick. She is a beardless EE.

My baby’s don’t have enough feathers yet to compare, possibly a speckled Sussex ?
My baby’s don’t have enough feathers yet to compare, possibly a speckled Sussex ?
I don't think it's a Speckled Sussex, my speckled Sussex had different colored legs and by the time they got to the stage this picture shows you could noticeably see where the light colored speckles were going to be.

Easter Egger! Dark legs, slightly uneven barring, grey/ back and brown chipmunk stripes on fluff? I think that that's an EE.

Back
Top Bottom