What breed is this duck??? I'm so confused.

Bird fanatic

Songster
May 10, 2021
I recently bought 5 ducklings from tractor supply the other 3 i'm pretty sure I know the breeds Cayugas and maybe a golden 300 hybrid but the other 2 I have no idea I've looked up breeds that look like them and I've come up with silver Apple yards maybe Welsh HarliQuinn's (or however you spell that!) and I'm not sure which one they are I just need help, or if they are something completely different! I'm stumped!!!

Both look like this
20220607_134229.jpg
20220607_134235.jpg
20220607_134240.jpg
20220607_134244.jpg

Since they may be golden 300s are they both males? I've looked up the duckling coloration and it shows this pattern to be males I really hope not but

Since they may be golden 300s are they both males? I've looked up the duckling coloration and it shows this pattern to be males I really hope not but
It is not the pattern but the color that determines gender in Golden 300s. Yellow and black = male, gold and brown = female. But yes, they both look like males to me. Time will tell. Did you happen to buy them from Tractor Supply? Any feed store that sells “straight run” but gets their ducklings from a hatchery that sells sexed ducklings, is more likely to have more males of the egg laying breeds. Tractor Supply gets theirs from Hoover and it seems like lots of people end up with more males.

It is not the pattern but the color that determines gender in Golden 300s. Yellow and black = male, gold and brown = female. But yes, they both look like males to me. Time will tell. Did you happen to buy them from Tractor Supply? Any feed store that sells “straight run” but gets their ducklings from a hatchery that sells sexed ducklings, is more likely to have more males of the egg laying breeds. Tractor Supply gets theirs from Hoover and it seems like lots of people end up with more males.
Yes I did get them from tsc, that makes sense though, I'm holding out hope though 🙏

Back
Top Bottom