What breed is this goose? Embden or Plain Headed Roman?

Shah

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 11, 2014
Two years ago one day a white goose showed to my pond. He has been my goose for two years now. All I know he is a male because in spring he guards the nests for Canadian geese. I like to know his breed so that I can find him a nice hen. Please see the pictures.

Last edited:
Makes me think of my Sam
900x900px-LL-a60b405f_May12012011.jpeg

Two years ago one day a white goose showed to my pond. He has been my goose for two years now. All I know he is a male because in spring he guards the nests for Canadian geese. I like to know his breed so that I can find him a nice hen. Please see the pictures.

I´d say Embden. Romans are small geese, a pilgrim (he doesn´t look like one) are a bit bigger, but this one looks a good size, (is that stick in the ground a measure?) I´d guess Embden, or at least, similar to....

Thanks for the reply. So far most responded by saying Embden. No that stick is not a measure. He is a big guy. As you know the big guys are normally don't have much to prove and they are usually gentle. He just showed up to my pond and I don't know how he got to my pond. I purchased a young geese that looks like him but it turned out to be a male. It appears that there is a major shortage of geese in Maryland. I have looked for about 3 month now with no luck to find some hens. All the good things are in PA, and VA and I may have too make a trip to get him some hens.

its a embden cross white chinese not a pure breed!

Thanks for the reply. So far most responded by saying Embden. No that stick is not a measure. He is a big guy. As you know the big guys are normally don't have much to prove and they are usually gentle. He just showed up to my pond and I don't know how he got to my pond. I purchased a young geese that looks like him but it turned out to be a male. It appears that there is a major shortage of geese in Maryland. I have looked for about 3 month now with no luck to find some hens. All the good things are in PA, and VA and I may have too make a trip to get him some hens.
Yes, he looks big. He only needs one female, they´re quite happy in pairs, unlike other poultry. Shame you´ll need to travel to get one, but that´s how it often is.
Serv reckons it has chinese in it...if it is, I reckon it´s not a lot, as he has no knob on his bill, it´s just that his neck is long-ish, but then some Embdens have longish necks....... He´s very lovely, though. An Embden goose shouldn´t be too hard to find. Or any breed, really, he´ll be quite happy just for some company.
big_smile.png

Thanks to all who commented. That's exactly why I joined BYC. You guys are a great community and I am glad to be a part of it. I have found some Embden females in PA and I have decided to do the drive and go get them. The seller said they are hatch by Myers, OH. In any case It's about time for me to get off the computer and act. I hope to post some picture with all of my geese on the pond. Thanks again for your help.

Back
Top Bottom