What Breed is this handsome Roo?

FoxfireDruid

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2017
Phenix City, AL
I love this guy, he's a fabulous Rooster! My parents bought him for me when I first got into raising chickens, originally under the auspice he was an Easter Egger, but he's missing most if not all of the key traits. Mainly because his legs are white. I have to double take to make sure he's ok sometimes because his veins show through his legs are so pale. (insert tanning joke here lol).

He's a few years old now and I wasn't too concerned with his breed until now. I've got my first set of eggs in the incubator and I'm excited to see what comes of them, which makes me curious about what he actually is now. His ladies are 2 RiR, 2 Cinnamon Queens, and 2 Black Sex link Hens.

welcome-byc.gif

He's got one barring gene, so about half his chicks will be barred. With his color and the red hens, you might get some pretty calico looking birds. Rose combs are dominant, so most of his babies should have them. He may well have a recessive gene for straight comb, though, so those are possible. That white skin is usually dominant, so expect more white legs in the chicks.

Should make for a nice, colorful hatch
smile.png

I love this guy, he's a fabulous Rooster! My parents bought him for me when I first got into raising chickens, originally under the auspice he was an Easter Egger, but he's missing most if not all of the key traits. Mainly because his legs are white. I have to double take to make sure he's ok sometimes because his veins show through his legs are so pale. (insert tanning joke here lol).

He's a few years old now and I wasn't too concerned with his breed until now. I've got my first set of eggs in the incubator and I'm excited to see what comes of them, which makes me curious about what he actually is now. His ladies are 2 RiR, 2 Cinnamon Queens, and 2 Black Sex link Hens.

Wow. That. Is. A. Handsome. Rooster.

It's totally a mixed breed. He's a cutie!

:welcome

He's got one barring gene, so about half his chicks will be barred. With his color and the red hens, you might get some pretty calico looking birds. Rose combs are dominant, so most of his babies should have them. He may well have a recessive gene for straight comb, though, so those are possible. That white skin is usually dominant, so expect more white legs in the chicks. 

Should make for a nice, colorful hatch :)

Thanks! That's really helpful to know about the white legs. I can't wait to see the mixed colors. March 12 is the expected hatch day.

Back
Top Bottom