What breed is this hen? Floppy comb?

kaddidle

Songster
12 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Alabama
This is a hen that I acquired as a chick from a photographer friend who'd bought a dozen chicks for an Easter photo shoot from a feed store.

She lays big, pinkish-brown eggs almost every day. Someone said they thought she might be a Production Red based on an earlier pullet pic. I'm wondering now if anyone can confirm or deny that.

busychickens.jpg

Also, is it normal for both of my hens' combs to be so floppy?

I don't know much about the Reds (RIR, NH, or Production Red), but I think Production Red. As for the combs being floppy.....that is normal for a pullet/hen about to lay or that are laying.

Quote:
Ok, in short...
R.I. Reds should be a large Dark Red (Mahogany) "brick" shape with a long flat back.
New Hampshires ( theres no red at the end
wink.png
)
were bred solely from the R.I. Red with no other outside blood added. There lighter in color than the R.I. Red and less brick shape with the tendency to be smaller.
Now the Production Red.
There are two strains of Production Reds.
The first strain was bred solely from Rhode Island Reds with no outside blood introduced (Like the New Hampshire).. They just bred the R.I. Red more and more for egg production and lost all the other characteristics of the R.I. Red like body size, color, temperament etc.
The other strain is a R.I. Red with Leghorn blood introduced. This is the strain that was to be used to compete agents the R.I. Red in a ROP egg laying contests held in the North East.
Now there is a hatchery that says that there Production Reds are a R.I. Red / New Hampshire cross but to me that is not a Production Reds.

(Note ROP = Record of Performance)

I hope this helps some..

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom