What breed is this hen? (PICS)

SquishyPandas

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
Does anybody know the breed of the hen on the right, with less markings?
If she is mixed, any ideas on what with?
Also sorry for posting twice, but I thought it might be helpful to get some pictures...

Maybe an austra white? I'm not sure about the ear lobe colour though. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can help you out.

Looks like Silver Spangled Hamburg to me. :)

Edit*..oops single comb...hmmm not sure on the other half of the mix, but the SSH next to it made me jump right to it lol :D

Last edited:
The body type and white ear lobes are similar to a white leghorn. The black spots are what you typically get from mixing dominant white with black. Several of the major hatcheries are producing a mix between white leghorns and black australorps that they call Austra Whites. I think that'sost likely what your hen is. She should be a great layer.

The body type and white ear lobes are similar to a white leghorn. The black spots are what you typically get from mixing dominant white with black. Several of the major hatcheries are producing a mix between white leghorns and black australorps that they call Austra Whites. I think that'sost likely what your hen is. She should be a great layer.

I agree, although it might have a different name in the UK.

Cool thanks everybody! :D

Although, shortgrass, the hen next to her is an Appenzeller Spitzhauben! According to Wikipedia, they are rare in the USA and not actually recognised as an official breed?? :(

Last edited:
Cool thanks everybody! :D

Although, shortgrass, the hen next to her is an Appenzeller Spitzhauben! According to Wikipedia, they are rare in the USA and not actually recognised as an official breed?? :(

Aha! Lol its been bugging me, I knew it wasn't a SSH but it looked like one at first glance ;) I got overly excited and posted before I looked :D

Back
Top Bottom