What breed is this likely to be?

lannek

Hatching
Dec 28, 2015
I have four beautiful Rhode Island Red hens that I know are a cross breed, but am unsure what the cross is. I have my first hatch from them with my RIR rooster and am getting some clear RIR colours coming through on my chicks. But I have a few coming through with quite different colouring and wondered if anyone might know what breed it might be?

Welcome to BYC

You will have to wait a few months until she has fully feathered out to be able to tell the breed.
Sorry! :)

ETA : If they are cross breeds then they are not Rhode Island Red hens. They are probably production red.

Last edited:
Pictures of the parents would help. If you know the hens are crosses then they are not RIRs. They could be production reds or red sex links.The coloring of the chick you posted isn't unusual in production reds.

welcome-byc.gif

Unless both parents are pure bred animals of the same breed, the offspring aren't any breed at all, they're mixed breed birds. Your pretty red sex link hens (with the white tails) are themselves mixed breeds, so you have barnyard mix chicks. With those parents, most of the birds will be red, but having white markings like the red sex link hens isn't unheard of. You may also get some black markings in the collar and tail areas instead of white. The pullets should all be good layers.

welcome-byc.gif

Unless both parents are pure bred animals of the same breed, the offspring aren't any breed at all, they're mixed breed birds. Your pretty red sex link hens (with the white tails) are themselves mixed breeds, so you have barnyard mix chicks. With those parents, most of the birds will be red, but having white markings like the red sex link hens isn't unheard of. You may also get some black markings in the collar and tail areas instead of white. The pullets should all be good layers.

X3 on donrae's post.

Back
Top Bottom