A standard colour for Orpingtons??

Janet Brad

Chirping
Feb 23, 2024
Hi all
These 4.5mth old roosters came from the same hatch. Father was a black orpington. Mothers were either white, black or a sussex. Regarding the 2 multi-coloured ones, I wondered if anyone knows which hen they might have come from. Are they orpingtons or a cross?

Attachments

• 20240225_145046.jpg
    20240225_145046.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43
Can you be more specific as to color varieties of the potential mothers? What color pattern is the Sussex? Were the blank and the white hens Orpingtons, are were they solid colored or did they have leakage of other colors?

Hi. Thank you. Of course I need to be more precise.

The black and the white Orpington hens are both solid colours. The rooster is a solid Black Orpington with iridescent green.
The Sussex is a Light Sussex. I do have a Light Sussex cross hen - uncertain of the cross variety (maybe Favarolle).

I have 14 other that are black with only one or two with copper flecks, and one that is white with black splashes and these are from the same two Light Sussex hens x Solid Black Orpington rooster.

Interestingly enough, I've just had 6 black and yellow chicks hatch, that are from the solid Black Orpington Hen and solid Black Orpington Rooster. I'll wait and see how they develop.

I think you're right. I was looking at my "Sussington" Poulets from my Black Orpington Rooster and Sussex Hen and some of them have flecks here and there that may become more pronounced in time. Thank you for your comment.

Only Sussexes can produce those off colors with black Roo.
I think you're right. I was looking at my "Sussington" Poulets from my Black Orpington Rooster and Sussex Hen and some of them have flecks here and there that may become more pronounced in time. Thank you for your comment.

Back
Top Bottom