What Breed is this Roo?

IndianaHomestea

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 20, 2012
New Palestine, Indiana
Can you guys tell by looking at my profile picture what breed his is? I bought him along with a hen. I THINK they were hatched together, but not sure. The hen I'm almost positive is a comet. But I believe I've read that male comets are white, so I'm not sure what he is. What do you think?

I just found my answer :) ok, that's exactly what I figured... the hen looks like a comet, which from what I read is a mix between a RIR and a Deleware. So I'm assuming they have different parents, as the roo looks to be MUCH more mixed.

I just found my answer :) ok, that's exactly what I figured... the hen looks like a comet, which from what I read is a mix between a RIR and a Deleware. So I'm assuming they have different parents, as the roo looks to be MUCH more mixed.
He looks just like a red sex link hen in colouring, but is a roo :idunno

Never saw one like him before.

Neat.

Also many different breeds can be the genetic makeup of a Red Sex Link. To give you exact breeds is near impossible. Most around here have white leghorn in them somewhere.

that is a rooster and is usaully the result of 2 red sex links being breed together. you can not breed 2 sex links together to get more sex links since they are a one time breed from a red rooster over a white hen.

that is a rooster and is usaully the result of 2 red sex links being breed together. you can not breed 2 sex links together to get more sex links since they are a one time breed from a red rooster over a white hen.
In my experience breeding sex links - they all end up white second generation.

There is a dominant white in there, and that even trumps barring. IE: bred to a barred rock rooster (where you'd usually get all barred chicks no matter what) you end up with 50% white and 50% barred.

In my experience breeding sex links - they all end up white second generation.
There is a dominant white in there, and that even trumps barring. IE: bred to a barred rock rooster (where you'd usually get all barred chicks no matter what) you end up with 50% white and 50% barred.
That's interesting cause all the second gen red sex links I've seen have been mixes of red and white, in different proportions on each bird. Are you talking about breeding red sex links to red sex links?

Did you see Fred's hens' post about breeding his Isa browns? By third gen he had mostly white birds, very pretty.

I agree OPs rooster looks like a second gen sex link roo, basically a mutt. The hen probably is also, just happens to be colored "right" for a sex link hen. It can still happen with second generations, it's jut not guaranteed.

Silver hen, not white. You do NOT want to use any birds that carry white in breeding sex-links or you can mess of the unique female vs male appearance.

That's interesting cause all the second gen red sex links I've seen have been mixes of red and white, in different proportions on each bird. Are you talking about breeding red sex links to red sex links? Did you see Fred's hens' post about breeding his Isa browns? By third gen he had mostly white birds, very pretty. I agree OPs rooster looks like a second gen sex link roo, basically a mutt. The hen probably is also, just happens to be colored "right" for a sex link hen. It can still happen with second generations, it's jut not guaranteed.
Talking about red sex link hen over barred rock rooster. The dominant white reared it's head with 3/4 that hatched. They are so beautiful though, and lay just as well as a red sex link.
_MG_6352.jpg
_MG_6457.jpg

Back
Top Bottom