What Breed is this Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IndianaHomestea, Oct 31, 2012.

1. IndianaHomestea

IndianaHomestea Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2012
    New Palestine, Indiana
    Can you guys tell by looking at my profile picture what breed his is? I bought him along with a hen. I THINK they were hatched together, but not sure. The hen I'm almost positive is a comet. But I believe I've read that male comets are white, so I'm not sure what he is. What do you think?

2. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    My guess is second generation sex linked...

3. IndianaHomestea

Sep 20, 2012
    New Palestine, Indiana
    ok thanks. I still haven't figured out this sex linked thing. So is a sex link basically a mut? :)

4. IndianaHomestea

Sep 20, 2012
    New Palestine, Indiana
    I just found my answer :) ok, that's exactly what I figured... the hen looks like a comet, which from what I read is a mix between a RIR and a Deleware. So I'm assuming they have different parents, as the roo looks to be MUCH more mixed.

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

He looks just like a red sex link hen in colouring, but is a roo :confused:

Never saw one like him before.

Neat.

Also many different breeds can be the genetic makeup of a Red Sex Link. To give you exact breeds is near impossible. Most around here have white leghorn in them somewhere.

6. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that is a rooster and is usaully the result of 2 red sex links being breed together. you can not breed 2 sex links together to get more sex links since they are a one time breed from a red rooster over a white hen.

7. aoxa

In my experience breeding sex links - they all end up white second generation.

There is a dominant white in there, and that even trumps barring. IE: bred to a barred rock rooster (where you'd usually get all barred chicks no matter what) you end up with 50% white and 50% barred.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's interesting cause all the second gen red sex links I've seen have been mixes of red and white, in different proportions on each bird. Are you talking about breeding red sex links to red sex links?

Did you see Fred's hens' post about breeding his Isa browns? By third gen he had mostly white birds, very pretty.

I agree OPs rooster looks like a second gen sex link roo, basically a mutt. The hen probably is also, just happens to be colored "right" for a sex link hen. It can still happen with second generations, it's jut not guaranteed.

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silver hen, not white. You do NOT want to use any birds that carry white in breeding sex-links or you can mess of the unique female vs male appearance.

10. aoxa

Talking about red sex link hen over barred rock rooster. The dominant white reared it's head with 3/4 that hatched. They are so beautiful though, and lay just as well as a red sex link. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by