What breed is this rooster?

Only spend effort to do that if he is bird/breed you truly love. Never because you read something. It takes tons of time to breed anything worthwhile and I have discovered it our passion that is key to keeping us content in this hobby. No amount of breeding birds other people like or will buy will make up for the personal payoff of working with birds YOU enjoy! ;)

He's a cutie. :love
Absolutely! It's definitely a labor of love! And just because they're rare doesn't mean that you can sell hem. I've learned that with my Nankins (also on the Critical List.) Luckily, I don't really have to sell them unless someone is specifically looking for them. My extra roosters all get along fine in the Bachelor Flock.

If he doesn't meet the standard he shouldn't be used for breeding. Also I don't know where The Livestock Conservancy gets their numbers but they can't be accurate. Either they aren't contacting very many breeders or they aren't counting the stock in the hatchery's. Nearly every hatchery sells Sultans. Not to mention the hundreds of breeders in the US alone.
For Sultans, LC only counts standard fowl. Unless they are true bantams, with no large fowl counterpart, bantam birds aren't included, because they've been crossed with other breeds to size them down. Single birds, or female-only flock birds are not included, either, because they are not contributing to the breeding program and will not help keep the breed alive.
If you go to the site, you can see a sample of their poultry census. It's very comprehensive. There's even a breakdown that shows how many of the official count are in the hands of commercial hatcheries and how many are in private, backyard breeding programs.
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/north-american-poultry-census

For Sultans, LC only counts standard fowl. Unless they are true bantams, with no large fowl counterpart, bantam birds aren't included, because they've been crossed with other breeds to size them down. Single birds, or female-only flock birds are not included, either, because they are not contributing to the breeding program and will not help keep the breed alive.
If you go to the site, you can see a sample of their poultry census. It's very comprehensive. There's even a breakdown that shows how many of the official count are in the hands of commercial hatcheries and how many are in private, backyard breeding programs.
https://livestockconservancy.org/index.php/heritage/internal/north-american-poultry-census

Its kind of a confusing, verging on misleading study in my opinion "just my opinion mind you". On one hand they don't contact every breeder in the US. Common sense tells us they couldn't have. I know I was never contacted and I'm sure there are many others. And on the other hand they publish such precise numbers for the US population. Its a good program and a good organization. I just don't agree with the accuracy of their numbers.

Back
Top Bottom