What breed is this rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Vamvakas, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Is this young 4 month old rooster a breed or a mutt? Under his feet it's yellow but his leg coloring is weird. Got him from a well known breeder so it's hard to think he's a mutt, maybe a Black Java?..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I've only had a couple of mottled ones but from what I remember their feet look pretty much like that and they are yellow skinned. He also has those floppy earlobes they seem to get early. Do you know what breeds the breeder has?

3. JLfarm

JLfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    It could be a Jersey Giant

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Not likely, Black Jersey Giants have blackish or slate colored feet and legs. [​IMG]

5. JLfarm

JLfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2013
    Rayne lousiana
    I sorry about that I never really raised black Jersey Giants

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Well, it looks like he has the following breeds in black: Java, Jersey Giant, Wyandotte, Cochin, Langshan, Crevecoeur, La Fleche, Australorp, Ameraucana, Sumatra. If he isn't a mix I'd think you can eliminate everything except the Java, Australorp and the Jersey Giant. So he could be a lorp with yellow instead of white skin, or one of the other two with a lot yellower legs than they usually have. Mottled Java have legs more like his, I'd wonder if he is a cross between a black and a mottled and didn't get good leg color? He just doesn't look hefty enough for a giant even at four months, but I guess if he hits 12+ pounds as an adult he could be that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by