What breed is this rooster?

Vamvakas

Songster
8 Years
Sep 30, 2011
North Branford, CT
Is this young 4 month old rooster a breed or a mutt? Under his feet it's yellow but his leg coloring is weird. Got him from a well known breeder so it's hard to think he's a mutt, maybe a Black Java?..

Last edited:
I've only had a couple of mottled ones but from what I remember their feet look pretty much like that and they are yellow skinned. He also has those floppy earlobes they seem to get early. Do you know what breeds the breeder has?

It could be a Jersey Giant
Not likely, Black Jersey Giants have blackish or slate colored feet and legs.
smile.png

Well, it looks like he has the following breeds in black: Java, Jersey Giant, Wyandotte, Cochin, Langshan, Crevecoeur, La Fleche, Australorp, Ameraucana, Sumatra. If he isn't a mix I'd think you can eliminate everything except the Java, Australorp and the Jersey Giant. So he could be a lorp with yellow instead of white skin, or one of the other two with a lot yellower legs than they usually have. Mottled Java have legs more like his, I'd wonder if he is a cross between a black and a mottled and didn't get good leg color? He just doesn't look hefty enough for a giant even at four months, but I guess if he hits 12+ pounds as an adult he could be that.

Back
Top Bottom