What Breed is this teenage hen

cutechickenlove

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013

A couple months ago I got this hen as a chick at a farm store she was a brown chick with a dark stripe down her back ,now she has a black and yellow beak and yellow legs I want to know what breed she is so I can know how many eggs to expect

I think she looks at least a little bit like a welsummer! Do you have a picture of her when she was a baby?

Young welsummer not a welsummer

I have a couple of young wellies at home and the teen in question doesn't look awfully far from it! Maybe it is a cross, but also the photos are dark so can't see the exact colouring!

But then again, I don't know what else looks similar except the brown leghorn, but the only difference is the white ears and bigger comb!

I dont know a lot about chickens but it does look like mine when she was smaller, shes a brown leghorn. I noticed yours has the same yellowish neck that turns to a darker brown throughout the rest of the body.

This is no a very good picture but it is the only one I have ,she is the one on the left
It also occurred to me to tell you about her personality(if it will help) she is very independent and does not seem to be picked on much

Well that is what both brown leghorns and welsummers look like when theyre chicks! I'd guess it's one of those. white ears and eggs (plus a bigger comb) = brown leghorn and red ears and dark brown eggs = welsummer. It should be clear when she's a grown up chicken!

Ps Rachelm, that photo is so sweet!

Thanks Alex15! This is one of my babies, im still not sure what kind she is.....ive heard my chickens look like old english bantams, rhode island reds, and brown leghorns! This one is from a brown egg, my little hen sat on her white eggs and my other hens brown ones. I never thought chickens would be so interesting! I love raising them!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom