• 93B0ABFB-1AEB-4305-8FE2-0114DDE2D20A.jpeg
    93B0ABFB-1AEB-4305-8FE2-0114DDE2D20A.jpeg
    842.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 2B7FE762-E69E-4DA3-8F6D-87CC70A2EF9D.jpeg
    2B7FE762-E69E-4DA3-8F6D-87CC70A2EF9D.jpeg
    931.7 KB · Views: 14
One has yellow legs and the other has dark (gray/black) legs with yellow toes

One has yellow legs and the other has dark (gray/black) legs with yellow toes
Interesting. Id say sapphire gem, but usually they will have a darker head. But these ones are solid blue.

If they are a purebred, I'd say maybe blue Andalusian. I can't think of too many single comb solid blue chickens. If they are a mix, without proprietary characteristics, you'd have a hard time narrowing it down.

Thanks for the help! That makes sense, I forgot to take the legs into account!

The two toned feet in this configuration will usually mean you have a mix on your hands.
I agree. Also, sapphire gems don't typically have yellow legs, so a mix is very probable

For reference:
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/sapphiregem.html
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/BarredRock.html

Whether the chick is a mix does not prove anything about whether the chick might be a Sapphire Gem, because Sapphire Gems are mixes (just one specific kind of mix.)

The Sapphire Gem chick photo at Hoovers Hatchery shows two-toned feet, including yellow toes on at least one chick. So two-toned feet feet, or feet with yellow, do not not prove anything about whether the chick might be a Sapphire Gem.

The Barred Rock chick photo at Hoovers Hatchery shows yellow toes on dark feet/shanks, so two-toned feet does not prove anything about whether a chick is a pure breed or a mix (because Barred Rocks are a pure breed.)

Id say sapphire gem, but usually they will have a darker head. But these ones are solid blue.
You might be right about that.

Also, since Sapphire Gem is a specific mix, I think it is not very likely to show up in a case like this.

If they are a purebred, I'd say maybe blue Andalusian. I can't think of too many single comb solid blue chickens. If they are a mix, without proprietary characteristics, you'd have a hard time narrowing it down.
I agree. There are not too many pure breeds of chickens that are solid blue and have a single comb. Andalusians are supposed to have white skin (not yellow), so that is a point against them. I think Orpingtons can come in blue, but they also have white skin, so also not quite right.

Of course if they are a mix there are many possibilities, and I agree that narrowing it down could be hard.

But at least for the chick on the left, I'm not sure if I am seeing plain blue, or whether it is something else, maybe blue cuckoo or blue laced silver. There is definitely some amount of variation in the color of the feathers, but I know that blues often do have darker edges on the feathers, so I'm not quite sure what is going on here.

Back
Top Bottom