93B0ABFB-1AEB-4305-8FE2-0114DDE2D20A.jpeg
    842.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 2B7FE762-E69E-4DA3-8F6D-87CC70A2EF9D.jpeg
    2B7FE762-E69E-4DA3-8F6D-87CC70A2EF9D.jpeg
    931.7 KB · Views: 14
For reference:
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/sapphiregem.html
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/BarredRock.html

Whether the chick is a mix does not prove anything about whether the chick might be a Sapphire Gem, because Sapphire Gems are mixes (just one specific kind of mix.)

The Sapphire Gem chick photo at Hoovers Hatchery shows two-toned feet, including yellow toes on at least one chick. So two-toned feet feet, or feet with yellow, do not not prove anything about whether the chick might be a Sapphire Gem.

The Barred Rock chick photo at Hoovers Hatchery shows yellow toes on dark feet/shanks, so two-toned feet does not prove anything about whether a chick is a pure breed or a mix (because Barred Rocks are a pure breed.)

You might be right about that.

Also, since Sapphire Gem is a specific mix, I think it is not very likely to show up in a case like this.

I agree. There are not too many pure breeds of chickens that are solid blue and have a single comb. Andalusians are supposed to have white skin (not yellow), so that is a point against them. I think Orpingtons can come in blue, but they also have white skin, so also not quite right.

Of course if they are a mix there are many possibilities, and I agree that narrowing it down could be hard.

But at least for the chick on the left, I'm not sure if I am seeing plain blue, or whether it is something else, maybe blue cuckoo or blue laced silver. There is definitely some amount of variation in the color of the feathers, but I know that blues often do have darker edges on the feathers, so I'm not quite sure what is going on here.
Always incredible insight @NatJ thanks for the time.

The two toned feet in this configuration will usually mean you have a mix on your hands.
I agree. Also, sapphire gems don't typically have yellow legs, so a mix is very probable

For reference:
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/sapphiregem.html
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/BarredRock.html

Whether the chick is a mix does not prove anything about whether the chick might be a Sapphire Gem, because Sapphire Gems are mixes (just one specific kind of mix.)

The Sapphire Gem chick photo at Hoovers Hatchery shows two-toned feet, including yellow toes on at least one chick. So two-toned feet feet, or feet with yellow, do not not prove anything about whether the chick might be a Sapphire Gem.

The Barred Rock chick photo at Hoovers Hatchery shows yellow toes on dark feet/shanks, so two-toned feet does not prove anything about whether a chick is a pure breed or a mix (because Barred Rocks are a pure breed.)

Id say sapphire gem, but usually they will have a darker head. But these ones are solid blue.
You might be right about that.

Also, since Sapphire Gem is a specific mix, I think it is not very likely to show up in a case like this.

If they are a purebred, I'd say maybe blue Andalusian. I can't think of too many single comb solid blue chickens. If they are a mix, without proprietary characteristics, you'd have a hard time narrowing it down.
I agree. There are not too many pure breeds of chickens that are solid blue and have a single comb. Andalusians are supposed to have white skin (not yellow), so that is a point against them. I think Orpingtons can come in blue, but they also have white skin, so also not quite right.

Of course if they are a mix there are many possibilities, and I agree that narrowing it down could be hard.

But at least for the chick on the left, I'm not sure if I am seeing plain blue, or whether it is something else, maybe blue cuckoo or blue laced silver. There is definitely some amount of variation in the color of the feathers, but I know that blues often do have darker edges on the feathers, so I'm not quite sure what is going on here.

Well if nothing else I’m very impressed by everyone’s knowledge! Thanks again

One has yellow legs and the other has dark (gray/black) legs with yellow toes

One has yellow legs and the other has dark (gray/black) legs with yellow toes
Interesting. Id say sapphire gem, but usually they will have a darker head. But these ones are solid blue.

If they are a purebred, I'd say maybe blue Andalusian. I can't think of too many single comb solid blue chickens. If they are a mix, without proprietary characteristics, you'd have a hard time narrowing it down.

Back
Top Bottom