Help with gender

Sbaker91

Hatching
Mar 13, 2024
Hi,
Any idea what breed and gender these chicks are? I’ve got a feeling they’re cockerels…

Attachments

• 1EE16F09-DDD5-415F-B15A-3251038DD989.jpeg
    1EE16F09-DDD5-415F-B15A-3251038DD989.jpeg
    328.8 KB · Views: 48
  • F196240B-CBCD-4CEA-8C92-6D314EEB09DC.jpeg
    F196240B-CBCD-4CEA-8C92-6D314EEB09DC.jpeg
    397.1 KB · Views: 17
I don’t really have any experience with chicks but the top one appears to be a faverolle cockerel! Hope you wanted males. They are very nice birds.

They’re 3 weeks old at the weekend, I think the pictures make them look bigger than they are!
I’ve got a legbar chick too which is female and seems smaller than these two. I’m just impatient and want to find out if they’re cockerels!

They're a bit young to tell for sure, but they both look pullet-ish for now. The white one's comb is kinda big, as someone already pointed out, and the legs are also pretty thick, so I'd watch that one. As for breed, the white one might be a Columbian something, like Sussex or Wyandotte with a single comb. I'm guessing the barred one is a French Cuckoo Marans.

I'm not good with breeds, so I'm no help there, but I think you may have to wait another week or two for a better answer on sex. I can usually sex my Leghorns at 4 weeks accurately. Much easier to tell when there's more chicks to see the comb size differences. I agree keeping an eye on that white one though. If the comb gets any bigger in the next week or two, you got a roo

I’m just impatient and want to find out if they’re cockerels!
We've all been there, lol, unfortunately unless you get sex-linked or auto sexing breeds a bit of patience is a must ;) And just think, after you figure out what sex everyone is you have to "patiently" wait for eggs, lol

Back
Top Bottom