What Breed Is This

ChickenAndMore

Songster
8 Years
Jul 2, 2012
Texas
I want to know what breed this is

I thought I knew what breed he was but everyone who comes to my house calls it something different ( Dominique, Barred Rock, Cuckoo Maran, Plymouth Rock, California Grey, Holland and many more) I know he is not a Holland, Cuckoo Maran, or California Grey. I thought he was a Barred Rock aka Plymouth Rock but not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated.
When I got him he had a "girlfriend" but she was eatin by a coyote along with almost all my other chickens awhile back, but before she was eatin I got 2 chicks from her. They are both pullets here are some pics

Thanks in advance

I never thought of that. When I got him they said he was a Dominique and came with a hen that looked like him. Almost all of his chicks come out Barred like him (doesn't matter who the mom is) Do you now why this is?

He's a black sex link rooster, he had one barred parent and one non barred parent. He's not a Dominique, they have rose combs and rose combs are dominant. Not a Marans, wrong leg color and coloring. The hen pictured is a barred rock hen.

Your rooster has one copy of the barring gene, so his offspring have a 50/50 chance of being barred if you breed him to a non barred hen. If bred to a barred hen, all males will be barred and half the females will be barred.

The easiest way to tell a sex link rooster from a pure bred rooster is color. Pure barred roosters have 2 copies of the barring gene, so they have more white vs black. Look up pics of barred rock roosters, they're much lighter overall than your guy. Sex link roosters, having only one copy of the barring gene, are darker colored, looking similar in color to the barred hens.

Lots of folks call any black and white barred bird a Dominique or "Dominecker". you always have to take that one with a grain of salt lol.

He's a black sex link rooster, he had one barred parent and one non barred parent. He's not a Dominique, they have rose combs and rose combs are dominant. Not a Marans, wrong leg color and coloring. The hen pictured is a barred rock hen.

Your rooster has one copy of the barring gene, so his offspring have a 50/50 chance of being barred if you breed him to a non barred hen. If bred to a barred hen, all males will be barred and half the females will be barred.

The easiest way to tell a sex link rooster from a pure bred rooster is color. Pure barred roosters have 2 copies of the barring gene, so they have more white vs black. Look up pics of barred rock roosters, they're much lighter overall than your guy. Sex link roosters, having only one copy of the barring gene, are darker colored, looking similar in color to the barred hens.

Lots of folks call any black and white barred bird a Dominique or "Dominecker". you always have to take that one with a grain of salt lol.
X2, I agree

Back
Top Bottom