what breed is this??

rosie1991

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 11, 2014
[/IMG]

Minus my daughter

Last edited:
One of the pullets is really small but the other 3 pullets are big and the roosters are huge

They are actually meat birds, and honestly usually don't make it to laying age. My first birds were and I didn't know the difference. Once I found out I didn't have the heart to slaughter. From what I understand he had a heart attack, the vet told me this with very much assurance after I told him what happened, how big he was, and how old. My honest opinion, if you don't want to slaughter, I would suggest selling them to someone and starting over. I had to after mine were gone.

Can you post closer pictures? I think they are Cornish crosses too. If so, then no, they are not good layers. They are meat birds, and bred to grow fast. they will lay if you keep them long enough, but they are poor layers, and they are subject to a lot of health issues.

They are actually meat birds, and honestly usually don't make it to laying age. My first birds were and I didn't know the difference. Once I found out I didn't have the heart to slaughter. From what I understand he had a heart attack, the vet told me this with very much assurance after I told him what happened, how big he was, and how old. My honest opinion, if you don't want to slaughter, I would suggest selling them to someone and starting over. I had to after mine were gone.

X2. We brought a package of assorted layers a few years ago, and we got three free meat birds in the mix. Not knowing they were meat birds, we kept them to laying age, and ended up losing them to heart problems, and other health issues due to their large size.

Back
Top Bottom