What breed is your favorite in your flock?

All my girls are my favorites! LOL!! I suppose it just depends on how nice they are. When first got Prissy, my Barred Rock, she was kind of nasty to the others - would peck the other chicken if I was feeding both of them at the same time. But now she has mellowed and I've grown to love her personality. She's kind of an old biddy, but not quite so bad as she used to be. Right now Suzie, my Lavender Orp, is probably my favorite. She's the sweetest out of all them, but then I just acquired Penny, my Delaware, and she is probably just as sweet. She actually let me pet her, which the others are not really crazy about me doing to them.

My black sex link and EE are two of my favorite girls!
I had two black Sex Links in the past and they were by far my LEAST friendly hens. They tolerated me but would never let me touch them. They didn't really even want to eat out of my hand but would do it if there wasn't any other food nearby. I think it all depends on the personality of each bird. I've discovered that they are all different.

I have 2 favorites I have one Polish who is always just following you where ever you go and she even knows her name and comes when you call she sometimes pecks at my bantams but most of the time she is friendly but the one I like the most is my Silver Laced Wyandotte she is super gentle and always nice to new chickens she is really easy to handle and listen whenever called to the coop.

I was wondering what breed of chicken is your favorite one in your flock? By favorite I mean who is always looking for cuddles or just eager to see you, who lays eggs most consistently and who gets along with others….
I want a diverse flock but I want my flock to be friendly. I see them more as pets and producers of eggs. So who’s YOUR best breed ??
Thanks !
My Easter egger Cutie is very friendly.

My Buff Orpington Chica is good with small kids.

My Australorp Queen Emerald is seemingly attached to my ankles and always wants to be where I am, tolerates being petted but she is not a fan of being held.

Our very friendliest hen is a Sagitta, she looks like a Rhode Island Red but she is such a cuddle bug. If someone is carrying her, she just leans into it. For instance if I hold her she nestles her neck against mine, around my shoulder, or rests in the crook of my elbow. Hops into laps and settles in. Especially her boy, my son. I think she likes how warm and cozy we are.

I was wondering what breed of chicken is your favorite one in your flock? By favorite I mean who is always looking for cuddles or just eager to see you, who lays eggs most consistently and who gets along with others….
I want a diverse flock but I want my flock to be friendly. I see them more as pets and producers of eggs. So who’s YOUR best breed ??
Thanks !
Lavender Ameraucana , as soon as I enter the pen he flys up on my shoulder and will crow in my ear 🥴

Attachments

• EA530D8C-0F31-4249-A995-7BC69F592D14.png
    EA530D8C-0F31-4249-A995-7BC69F592D14.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 73AC43F0-4FEE-42FF-AB03-77B0F072AB7B.png
    73AC43F0-4FEE-42FF-AB03-77B0F072AB7B.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
I have owned a total of 14 different breeds (if I counted correctly). Of those, it's HARD to pick a favorite, but here's my best effort:

Friendliest: Barred Rock
Most docile (to humans AND flockmates): Orpington
Most clever: tied between Spitzhauben, Turken, and Golden Comet
Most entertaining: Silkies (by far!)

ETA: Honestly, right now, I'd say my overall favorites are my Call ducks. I really just love them to pieces: friendly, smart, cute. They're the complete package. They're just not chickens (about which OP was inquiring).

Back
Top Bottom