What breed might this mama hen be?

zunruffled

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2023
I recently got this hen and her chicks (not all hatched from her eggs) from someone who could only tell me that she lays green eggs. Any ideas on what breed or cross-breed might she be?

Attachments

• IMG_4391.JPG
    IMG_4391.JPG
    754.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4395.JPG
    IMG_4395.JPG
    770.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4398.JPG
    IMG_4398.JPG
    847.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4430.JPG
    IMG_4430.JPG
    748.2 KB · Views: 19
She probably has some Cream Legbar (because of the little tuft of feathers on the head, because the overall shape & color are similar, and because they have the blue egg gene that is also needed for green eggs.)

She is not a pure Cream Legbar because her comb is wrong (Legbars have single combs, your hen has I think a pea comb but possibly a rose comb), and because her feather coloring is not right for that breed (no white barring, other details look a bit off too), and because she has the wrong foot color (Legbars have yellow feet).

I would call her an Easter Egger. That is a catch-all term for chickens that lay blue or green eggs but do not belong to any specific pure breed.

How nice to get a hen and all those chicks together! How many chicks are there? They are surely mixed breeds, I look forward to seeing how they look as they grow up, keep us updated…

How nice to get a hen and all those chicks together! How many chicks are there? They are surely mixed breeds, I look forward to seeing how they look as they grow up, keep us updated…
Will do, SueT. There are 14 chicks in total, 4 of which are about 4-5 days older than the rest; not sure what had happened to their mother, but the previous owner gave them to her to see if she'd accept them, and she did; such a good mama...

Back
Top Bottom