What breed/mix?

BoereMeisie

Cape Town Farm Girl
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
Atlantis, South Africa

Hi everyone. The 3 ladies in the pic was sold to me simply as "laying hens" with no indication as to what breed mix they are. Can anyone tell me which breeds may be in their mix? They lay quite well, at an average of 2 eggs per day between the 3 of them, sometimes they even surprise me with 3 eggs a day! Their eggs are brown and a nice big size. I would just like to "guesstimate" what breed/mix they might be, as I am adding a Rhode Island Red Rooster and hen to the flock this weekend, and it would be nice to know what the "other half" of the breed of the chicks will be - if that makes any sense
hmm.png

Last edited:
White rock hens.
I'm not sure if they're dominate white or not, if not your RIR roo over them will make you sex link chicks.

How can one tell if they're dominate white?
I didn't realize you're out of the US, so they might not be Rocks. I'm not familiar with what breeds are available where you are, so don't know what they are unless US breeds are common where you are.

The easiest way to tell if they're dominant white is to hatch out some babies. If they're all yellow/white, the hens are dominate white. My understanding is pretty simple but I think dominant white kinds cancels everything else out, or masks it under the white. If they're not dominant, and you put a red roo over them, the males will be silver based, will hatch out white and grow out white with red patches on wings, etc. Females will be red or gold, at hatch they'll be more of a gold color and when grown will be red or gold with white tails/tips.

Hmmm... Might be back to square one then? Or maybe I could just cheat and call them Rocks
wink.png
. We do have breeds from all over available here, like Rhode Island Red, New Hampshire, Australorp, Orpingtons, Silkie, etc... It's probably not THAT important to know their origin... They do lay well, are friendly - running to the door when I come to the coop (food... FOOD!!!), and then try to fly up when I'm at the coop door. I'm adding the RIR's to the flock on Saturday, a pullet who just started laying and a young cockerel - So we will have to wait for the cokerel to do some maturing before we can start expanding the flock
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom