What breed of chicken should I put in the 4h fair?

Quote: Did you get your bird from a breeder? There is a huge difference between show quality birds and hatchery birds, and if you want to be competitive in shows you will need to enter show quality birds.
smile.png

If you intend to seriously do some showing I'd highly recommend getting an APA Standard of Perfection book. A new edition was printed this year and will be the most up to date on accepted breeds & colors. A 4 year old bird is probably not going to be in good enough feather to compete. But I could be totally wrong, I've not seen the bird of course.

I don't want to take the easy way out of it. I want the harsh truth and im a newbie at this so i need to know what the standards are, also this is for experience. I don't really expect to win anything this year with my 4 year old Jersey Giant. :) Thanks!
That's fair and I say good for you. No one can expect to win much without experience.

I do love JGs. I've had blacks, blues and whites.
Good luck with it.
I'd get some good nutrition (not excessive) in the bird for its best shot.

Did you get your bird from a breeder? There is a huge difference between show quality birds and hatchery birds, and if you want to be competitive in shows you will need to enter show quality birds.
smile.png
X2 on the breeder vs. hatchery

If you intend to seriously do some showing I'd highly recommend getting an APA Standard of Perfection book. A new edition was printed this year and will be the most up to date on accepted breeds & colors. A 4 year old bird is probably not going to be in good enough feather to compete. But I could be totally wrong, I've not seen the bird of course.

X2 on the APA SOP

ETA
The thing that bugs me the most is when someone buys a show quality bird and presents that bird as their own at a show whether it be a county fair or a 4-H event.
Those birds at a show, IMO should be bred and raised by the presenter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom