What Breed of Chicken?

chickneggs

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2013
UpNorth ☀️
I adopted two chickens from my local animal shelter today. Could anyone tell me what breed they may be?
D29AC603-FE38-4465-9D59-6B5AAD653789_1_201_a.jpeg

Mine have yellow legs - I’m not sure if it’s a breed thing or if they can be different colors.

For yellow-legged chickens, the longer they lay eggs, the more pale the legs get. So these could be hens that have been laying for a while.

(The yellow pigment gets moved into egg yolks and out of their legs and beak and some other places. It starts to come back if they take a break from laying. This doesn't hurt the chicken, but does provide a handy way to see which hens have laid more eggs than others. It only happens with yellow-skinned chickens. The ones with white skin still lay eggs with yellow yolks, but never have the yellow move in or out of their skin.)

For yellow-legged chickens, the longer they lay eggs, the more pale the legs get. So these could be hens that have been laying for a while.

(The yellow pigment gets moved into egg yolks and out of their legs and beak and some other places. It starts to come back if they take a break from laying. This doesn't hurt the chicken, but does provide a handy way to see which hens have laid more eggs than others. It only happens with yellow-skinned chickens. The ones with white skin still lay eggs with yellow yolks, but never have the yellow move in or out of their skin.)
I didn’t know know that, that’s really interesting!

Back
Top Bottom