What breed of Chickens do I have?

Here are a few more pictures of the chicks. They wouldnt sit still because of the camera flash.
Its kind of hard to tell these two apart but Sunny is the one with hardly any black on her beak and Yolka is the one with a lot of black.
84433_102_1140.jpg
Yolka
84433_102_1141.jpg
Sunny
84433_102_1142.jpg
Sunny
84433_102_1143.jpg
Yolka
84433_102_1144.jpg
Yolka
84433_102_1145.jpg
Yolka left Sunny right
84433_102_1146.jpg
Yolka
Below are pictures of what the chicks looked like when I first brought them home. I am sorry some of the pictures are blury...
The first pick is Poachy
84433_201103051411227.jpg

This one is Sunny
84433_201103051414011.jpg

This one is Shelly
84433_201103051412183.jpg

This one is Omelet
84433_201103051418523.jpg

Scramble
84433_201103051417298.jpg

Yolka
84433_201103051413113.jpg

The two black w/splotches of light look like australorps to me. The one that has quite a bit of comb development I'd suspect is a roo. But maybe it's the lighting??? Is the one's comb already turning a tiny bit pinkish, or is it still yellow??? The one reddish chick I'd bet money is a roo - LOTS of pinkish comb (or once again, maybe the lighting?).

Sunny (the reddish one) was always the biggest so I always figured she was older. Now sunny isnt the biggest they are all pretty much the same size. How old are the chicks when they usually arrive at TSC? All of the chicks have light pink combs except for the 2 brown ones with furry feet their combs are orange but theirs havent really developed as much as all the other ones. When do they start going cocka doodle doo?
jumpy.gif

To answer the question about grit and oyster shell. Grit is needed when they start getting food that needs "chewing" such as grains or grasses. As long as they are on chick feed they can wait, unless you are feeding treats. Oyster shell can be put out when they are about ready to lay, when their faces are getting nice and red, also about the time you switch them to layer feed.
You may hear crowing anytime, my last batch of babies started at 3 weeks, didn't sound much like a crow, but the little guy just stretched his neck out when he tried. Chicks voices change anytime around 4 weeks or so. It is so funny, they will be cheeping away and one day a Bok! comes out and they scare themselves. They tend to get quiet for a while until they realize they are making that noise and it is ok. Voice changing occurs about the time they get the 'uglies'.

Thanks for answering my question. I have only given them one treat wich was a little bit of corn that I made into mush. Do you think they will be ok since they didnt get any grit after that?

I need help with what breed my hens are,the first one is all black with greenish shine on her back and grayish feet and legs....and the second hen is brownish and black with a little bit of greenish shine and grayish feet and legs......any feedback will be appreciated...Thanks

2 Dark Brahma pullets (feather legged chickens). They are not roosters, you can tell by their coloring. Dark Brahmas should more accurately be called Silver Penciled Brahmas, as Silver Penciled is actually their feather color. Silver Penciled males develop black breasts, white wrings, and really have almost no penciling. Your Brahmas look nothing like roosters.

The two black chicks look like black Australorp pullets.

The Red chick appears to be a production red of sorts, and looks like a rooster.
x2 both of the reds look like cockerels

Last edited:
i believe i have either an americauna or an easter egger...im leaning more towards easter egger...what do you think

shes not still a chick but not yet a pullet really...she is loosing al herbaby feathers and growing her adult photos though

Back
Top Bottom